Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

poor reliability & expensive to fix
By Mike

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car when it is work. 77 kmiles, second owner bought at 50 k. so far I replaced, water pump, turbo,shift assembly,, battery , one bearing , low pressure fuel pump. If you have the money for this buy it if not...no. The only way I will buy an other BMW will be only if has CPO warranty ...

Discouraged love for my BMW
By Roro Alphonse

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 08 535xi for 2 years as 2nd owner at 67K. I enjoy that ultimate driving machine for about only 5 months then trouble happened. I took it to a BMW dealer they gave an estimate for $10,135 to have everything fix. Twins turbo, fuel injection, O2 sensors then water pump and thermostat etc. I thought that car will give a brake now my radio doesn't work, monitor display turn only when it feels like. I have an inspection reject that cannot resolve due of O2 sensors and others things still not ready after about 600 miles driving, no check engine light on but can't pass inspection. Now, they told me I have to change T.C. Unit which is also controls the radio. This car is just problem!

My BMW 535XI Nightmare
By beinspired65

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchsed my 08 BMW XI used 60k miles on it, for the first 6 mos it was all good, while driving out of town the veh completely shut down (water pump), and since this happened there has been one repair after the other, I've always wanted a BMW, after repeated breakdowns and countless repairs, uless the veh is leased, do not waste your money you will end up spending more than anticipated. I've often heard you can drive a BMW for 100k miles with no issues....absolutely not true, and the worse part is you do not know there is a problem until the incator shows up on the dash or the vehicle shuts completely down. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

handling is superb.

EVERYTHING

Fun to drive, poor reliability & expensive to fix
By mqc99

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my 1st and last BMW. Bought the car new, in the 6 years and 34K miles I've owned the car, I had a
faulty battery, bad fuel pump, dead oxygen sensor, and a failed water pump.
I was stranded 3 times (car completely died) and almost stranded twice. So, multiple trips to the shops and over 2 grand of repair bills later, I have finally gave up on this "ultimate driving machine". It was a fun car to drive while it worked. But, for a $60K car, I'd expect BMW to deliver something better. The worst part is that I totally lost my confidence in it and can no longer feel comfortable taking this car on any extended trips. This will be the LAST BMW I ever spend my money on.

Nice handling. It drives very well when things are working.

Improve product quality and reliability. Quality is not just about handling, it is also about driver confidence. When you can't build customer trust in your product, you loose the customer. Learn from how Acura and Lexus on how they have built customer loyalty. If you don't improve your product quality, you will loose to your competitions. Take a page from the lessons learned by the American auto makers in the 80's and 90's. They took some hard hits before they wised up and got their act together. Today, they have much better products. BMW, if you don't take care of your product quality, you will face the same hardship GM, Ford and Chrysler did 20 years ago.

Fun to drive
By david_welch

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I was looking for an AWD sport sedan with a 6 speed manual transmission.
The BMW 535xi is the only option in the luxury market.

The car is outstanding.
It handles extremely well at high speeds and tight corners.
The brakes are fantastic and can stop reliably.

I wanted a 6 speed manual and the transmission is superb. Shifting is smooth but can be done quickly if accelerating -- merging on the highway is no trouble at all.

The AWD is great and I just took the car out for its first test in a New England blizzard.
The plow trucks were all out and I only saw a few Audis and Subarus on the road.
The BMW climbed icy hills with no trouble at all.
Did some donuts too - good times.

Twin turbo engine, 6 speed manual transmission, large trunk, room for 5 adults. All wheel drive is great.

Better cup holders and easier to use climate control. The iDrive system is a pain, but the climate control cryptography is simply ridiculous. I shouldn't have to pull over the car just to change the heat/AC settings.