Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My 550i
By Dewey Raynor

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Greatest Car I have ever driven. Sold the car after 120,000 miles. Upkeep was becoming more of an issue than trading it in and getting a younger vehicle.

Not nearly enough bang for your buck
By Anthony

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Considering the steep price, this vehicle is mostly a disappointment. At 39k miles, the water pump went. Shortly afterward, three injectors failed. At 62k miles, the lower bushings needed replacing. While the vehicle is fun to drive, much of my experience has been quite pedestrian. Needless to say, my next vehicles will be a Mercedes and an Audi, as my wife will be getting a new vehicle next year as well. The Ultimate Driving Machine needs to be examined more closely, in terms of reliability.

poor reliability & expensive to fix
By Mike

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car when it is work. 77 kmiles, second owner bought at 50 k. so far I replaced, water pump, turbo,shift assembly,, battery , one bearing , low pressure fuel pump. If you have the money for this buy it if not...no. The only way I will buy an other BMW will be only if has CPO warranty ...

Discouraged love for my BMW
By Roro Alphonse

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I had my 08 535xi for 2 years as 2nd owner at 67K. I enjoy that ultimate driving machine for about only 5 months then trouble happened. I took it to a BMW dealer they gave an estimate for $10,135 to have everything fix. Twins turbo, fuel injection, O2 sensors then water pump and thermostat etc. I thought that car will give a brake now my radio doesn't work, monitor display turn only when it feels like. I have an inspection reject that cannot resolve due of O2 sensors and others things still not ready after about 600 miles driving, no check engine light on but can't pass inspection. Now, they told me I have to change T.C. Unit which is also controls the radio. This car is just problem!

I love everything in the car. It has a very nice interior, the head display, audio sound, the chairs are wonderful.

Need a lot of improvements on computer electronics system command on those cars. Some other much cheaper cars like Hunday is doing a much better job for the money compare to those expensive car maintenance than BMW lately.

My BMW 535XI Nightmare
By beinspired65

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchsed my 08 BMW XI used 60k miles on it, for the first 6 mos it was all good, while driving out of town the veh completely shut down (water pump), and since this happened there has been one repair after the other, I've always wanted a BMW, after repeated breakdowns and countless repairs, uless the veh is leased, do not waste your money you will end up spending more than anticipated. I've often heard you can drive a BMW for 100k miles with no issues....absolutely not true, and the worse part is you do not know there is a problem until the incator shows up on the dash or the vehicle shuts completely down. VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!

handling is superb.