Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 207 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My 20th BMW since 1972!
By P.Y. Maida

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I love BMW's. And I love wagons. I always buy them used and usually with over 80K miles due to my budget. Had a 2006 530xi and loved it except for the lack of acceleration. The 2008 with the twin turbo 535xi is my perfect wagon except........there are a few issues which must be looked at or taken onto account when buying a used 535xi wagon. The original issues with the fuel pumps and turbos either showed up and were addressed somewhere before 50K miles or they will not show up (faults that is, normal wear and tear will always be an issue). Faulty comfort access on the 2006 530xi cost me $1400. but my 535xi is perfect. Rear hatch lift motor should be tested prior to purchase. Also the rear cargo window switch which has a habit of shorting due to lack of sealing. Easy fix but these things can mount up. I had a 540it 2003 with M package which was my favorite car of all time but my 535xi has more HP and get and go , is 4 wheel drive, all the tech goodies and gets much better MPG. Perrrrrfect! My new favorite.

up dated review 06/2017
Still lovin it!.
Standard sunroof seal leak (wind noise only) and while I was prepared to do the diy which required removing both glass panels, a strip of electrical tape stopped the noise and doesn't show (much). All else is great. More than enough get up and go, handles like a sports car, safe in the wet and I average over 20mpg. A real sleeper with no badges (we don't need no stinking.....) to declare my 300hp.

Great Classic Cruiser
By C Patterson

2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Maintenance expenses are steep but necessary. Technology is now dated but the car is smooth, fast and stable.

Great car
By rudy suazo

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a pleasure to drive I am enjoying every day that I drive. Very confortable an a lot of room no noise inside the car and good performance. I love the car

Pleasantly Surprising
By Ultimate Driver

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

05/11/17 Update - Still feel the same way about the vehicle. As car ages, wear and tear type parts start to give. Replaced the engine and transmission mounts at 134K miles. Also, replaced crank shaft sensor and alternator. Shopped around for pricing aforementioned service. BMW pricing was comparable non-dealer shops. Interior remains high quality. Still the ultimate driving machine.

Prior review - Purchased the vehicle as CPO 5 years ago. The car has performed satisfactorily well over time. 528i sport offers a great balance between performance and maintenance cost. On the sport package, you can rotate tires for longer life. Having the CPO warranty and maintenance to 100K was instrumental in managing ownership costs. Also, pays off in the long run because this ensures maintenance is performed by BMW using genuine parts. I feel this has contributed to reliability I enjoy at 130K mile. The cheapest way to maintain a BMW is with the dealer. BMW service is great and the reps generally do their best to help you out. Although, service must be scheduled well in advance to get a BMW loaner. Reliability, relative to 15 years ago, has improved on these vehicles. Overall, maintenance cost is comparable to other luxury makes.

2008 550i with zero problems so far
By Kush

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I have a 2008 BMW 550i with 50K miles on it. I have zero problems with it so. I have only changed the oil and replaced the battery twice. Runs like a top. Will change Runs as good as new.