Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 207 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

On the fence
By OnTheFence

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My lease comes up at the end of the year but not sure if I would buy it. It was at the dealership multiple times due to the high pressure fuel pump and gasket leak issues. Morning starts feel like a boat motor. Engine misfires. Car lurches back and jumps forward at stop lights etc. It's a joy to drive when the engine is trouble free. I-drive is so slow it drives me nuts. The blutooth works about 50% of the time. I'm eying the infiniti M and the lexus G because I really want a trouble free vehicle with better ergonomics. I'll have to sacrifice the driving dynamics of this vehicle though. There should not be a compromise for a $60,000+ car.

Turbo engine is a blast. The car is fun to drive. The sport seats are amazingly comfortable.

The engine suffers too many problems. The leather seats are coming off of the seams at the bottom? the cup holders are pathetic. Bluetooth that works.

Fuel System Problems
By Tom

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Great car, amazing when running well. My 535 is having a lot of problems with the car running very rough and has had several engine malfunctions. The dealership has put in a new module, high pressure pump (HPP), and several new injectors. Problem is routine to N54 engine. BMW acknowledges the problem is a design fault. Check out and have good warranty if purchasing. Love the car when it works.

Driving excitement, power

cup holders and fixing rough cold idle and fuel problem.

535XI Wagon w/Dinan Stage II
By njtriguy

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Stuck with the basics (sport Package, upgraded stereo, premium package), did not get run flats - and am VERY happy with the car. Have had no mechanical issues. Added Dinan Stage II upgrade and the car is scary fast while still getting 25+mpg on the highway. I love the exclusivity (under 900 2009's sold) and the ability to fly under the radar and behind large SUVs on the highway. Now that the 2011 wagon will not be brought into the US, I am glad to be "stuck" with this beautiful car for many more years.

Sporty handling, smoothness of ride, power delivery of Dinan upgrade, blowing the doors off most cars on the road.

Lower cost - but hey, there really is no equal to this wagon out there.

Screaming Fast
By BVBEAMER

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 2 Acura TL's, and Infiniti G35 and several other lower model Acura's and even a 1987 325. This car is a blast to drive. Super fast. You can take a corner as fast as you want and the traction control will prevent you from ever losing control. Tried that in a G35 and the car spun out. I've had some issues with battery drain and dealer said battery was fine. After reading many posts I decided to get BMW battery tender. Very easy to use and BMW didn't engineer the car to properly maintain battery charge if you are opening closing doors, trunk etc without driving it. Knock on wood. haven't had trouble. I do notice trans lag when car is cold but is fine after a few minutes.

Fun to drive, acceleration, handling, infinite seat adjustments, logic 7 stereo, idrive (yes it's cool), 18 inch sport wheels, cruise control better than other vehicles, displays exact speed and maintains it even when going down steep hills, super cold ac. Yes, I love this car.

Center Console needs more storage. I'm fine with the cup holders. Worried about maintenance costs when I'm out of warranty based on comments in this forum.

Great power, Poor ergonomics
By danimal

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Have had this car for 2+ years and my lease is up in May, 2010. I was thinking about doing a buy-out but I just can't get past the interior ergonomics. There is zero storage space to put anything. The cup holders are cheap and pop out from the dash. There is nowhere to put sunglasses, maps, coins, receipts, over-sized bottles, etc. There is also no rear seat leg room. The car itself is undeniably the best performance vehicle in its class. The twin turbo is an absolute joy to drive with unmatched power. I will miss it but, again, I can't deal with the interior anymore. BTW, the I-Drive system is easy to figure out but it's slow as molasses.

Twin turbo engine, ambient lighting, premium sound system is fantastic, heated steering wheel

I-Drive delays too much and too long. Redesign the interior to be user friendly