Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The Ultimate Drivers Car
By KG

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

BMW 5 series is the ultimate luxury car this side of $50K. Its ride and feel is sporty yet comfortable and smooth and quiet. I bought a CPO 530i which was 3 yrs used for $30K with only 25K miles on it and Premium pack, Navigation and Xenon lights but no Sport pack. The ride is smooth and refined for everyday commute and long journey yet very tight and balanced for the mountain curves and quick maneuvers. The 6 speed auto transmission is AWESOME and it feels like a Japanese V8 as per power delivery goes. The turning circle is awesome. The fuel economy is amazing as I get 25 mpg combines for my mostly highway commute and 20 local mostly city commute when my wife drives it.

Inconsistent Idle
By EratticIdle

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

15 year BMW owner. This car/engine has an idle issue. If you are thinking of buying one observe how it idles after reaching temperature. As you stop, the car idle drops to normal. 2 seconds later it drops, shakes the car, returns to normal. Happens a lot. Been to dealer 6 times. Have driven other 2006 and 2007 530s and noted the SAME issue although some vehicles not quite as noticeable. Worried about long term viability of this car.

Effortless acceleration.

Suggest that a 50K car should idle properly.

Sorry to have purchased this car
By LongTimeBMWOwner

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is very nice except for a problematic idling issue. Been to the dealer over 6 times (lost count thereafter), talked with BMW of North America several times. No satisfaction even though the car is under warranty. If you are looking to own a BMW hope that you get a good one and not a lemon as I have. I have owned several BMWs over a 15 year period and feel completely let down by the situation. Two more observations: sound system is average, very average. Wind noise from the sunroof is annoying.

Effortless ride. Crisp handling.

Honor the warranty.

In a class by itself
By EngineerInMaryland

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car for my wife after we sold our X5. Boy was this a revelation. Driving off from the dealer lot, I could tell this was no ordinary car. The smoothest acceleration I've ever experienced. The bluetooth rocks. The Navigation is intuitive and the Gas mileage is off the charts (25mpg). This car combines comfort, performance and style excellently well. After 1 year, we've had no issues with the car, and are falling in love with it more every day.

Bluetooth handsfree feature is great. The I-drive takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. The smooth engine and raw power. The leather seating and "seat warmers" as my wife calls it are outstanding.

Terrible rear seat leg room. BMW has to do something about this. Also the trunk space leaves a lot to be desired. We noticed that our old beater (a '96 Camry) had more rear leg room and trunk space than our beloved 5series!

CPO Vehicle
By Randy

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a 2006 CPO and I have never been so impressed with an automobile, even if used. The quality of build, interior and exterior finish, ride, and great gas mileage (30 mpg highway) blows me away. The iDrive system is easy to use and relieves you of numerous buttons and knobs that would be needed to run the systems it controls. I have had other luxury or semi-luxury cars i.e. Lincoln, Mercedes, and a Toyota Avalon and none, I repeat none, deserve to be parked in the garage with the 530i. So many small touches add to this car such as small orange LEDs beaming streams of dim light on door handles, gear shift, side pockets, at night. I certainly will be a BMW man for years to come.

iDrive system, engine power and torque superb, leather near perfect

trunk release button needs to be moved to dash area