Used 2006 BMW 5 Series 550i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

550i
By BRokicki

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a CPO 06 550i 6 months ago with 46K miles. This car is amazing, it already has over 53K on it and there isn't one rattle, this car really has held up over the years. I drove a new 535i and could hardly tell the difference, so I decided to save $30K and buy it used. This car is such a joy to drive, it begs to be tossed around. Every seat is comfortable, and there is tons of cargo room. The only thing that bothers me is that I only average 9 mpg in the city driving normally, but much better than expected on the highway, about 25. You really need to watch the pot holes, I had to replace 2 tires at $500 a piece, don't get the sport package if you live in an area with bad roads!

brown leather, power, transmission, handeling, parking sensors, i-drive, heated steering wheel, auto wipers

xdrive available with the V8, better city mpg, rear fog light would be good to have in bad weather. This car is pretty close to perfect!

'06 550i sport
By bluebimmer

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Love my Bimmer! The sport package is a must! Drives and handles very well. I heard things about the iDrive but realized that it is not complicated at all, I can even input on navi while driving, cup holders do not bother me either. Heads-up display is awesome, it even shows directions from navi. Very comfortable. Overall the car makes a statement!

Heads-up, navigation, satellite radio. Looks great!

GPS instead of DVD navigation

The good and the bad
By squadless

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I've had this 550i for about a year, the car is awesome. Very fun to drive, turns heads (especially those people who rev up their engines in their G35 or the equivalent). Reliability - not so good. In 1 year I went through 5 tires and 2 cracked rims. Note I do live in New York City where the roads are NOT the best but before this I had a Lexus LS430 since 2001 and I only went through 1 tire so do the math.

SPEEEED! ACCELERATION! I-Drive! and the whole interior + exterior

Cupholders are awful. They're made to be broken at which point you crazy clue those bad boys back into place. Tires - RFT is the only plausible solution? Rims - why are they so weak on this years 5 series?

Loving It
By Phil

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Great car! Powerful, fast and fun, yet refined. I can sum up driving this car in one word: confidence! This is a car for persons who love to drive and to feel the car interact with the road (as opposed to being shielded from it). The iDrive is fine (even helpful) once you get the hang of it. Try it, you'll like it.

Blowing away "sports cars" and the look of the other driver's face after you do it. This baby rocks!

The iDrive is too complcated-- there must be an easier way. Cup holders are bad! No sunglass holder! Comfort Access feature should be standard.

Worth the patience
By LiftThis

2006 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Ya know how you never buy a 1.0 release of software. Consider that for a car. While the dealership was wonderful, and we would definitely buy a car from them again, it took several trips back and forth to the dealership to work out some of the bugs in the cars firmware. Once that was fixed, WOW! I love this car. It's faster, handles better than my 2001 Porche 911 cabrio, and is quite the sleeper. I have also driven a 2005 E55 Mercedes Benz AMG, and I will take my 550 any day. The handling and braking are superb. Most folks won't be disappointed in the acceleration either. After a few M3s and Porsches, as a car lover, I can tell you that I love this car.

Handling, braking, acceleration. If you like to drive, you will love this car.

Quality assurance!