Used 2006 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

2006 530i Disappointment
By helodrive

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have taken the car back 7 times in a little over a year for repairs. I am very disappointed with BMW and will not buy another. The day I picked the car up I had to return it because the SOS system was not working, iDrive went out, the sunroof had to be repaired to work correctly, warning for high battery drain (2 times), window anti-trap warning, rough idle.

Heated seats and steering wheel which is a option. Auto wipers.

Take the radio function out of the iDrive.

A whole different level
By Jim W.

2006 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a real pleasure to drive. Dead quiet without a bit of mush. The 525i won't throw your head back into the powered headrest but it does get you onto the interstate just fine. Once there you can cruise at 70mph/2400rpm and watch your mpg gauge hover above the 30mpg mark. I often find myself seeking out corners to carve. If I was forced to complain... it takes a little bit more time to zip between radio bands and stations or ejecting and inserting CDs. IDrive would be rough on the techno challenged among us. I'm not used to a car without a dipstick either. Don't let any of this stop you from experiencing the craftsmanship and engineering excellence of this car. Even if it's a test drive

Built in rechargeable flashlight w/logo, passenger mirror automatically tilts down to view curb when in reverse. Cruise control indicator mark magically appears on the perimeter of the speedo in a most cool way.

A few discreet buttons for radio presets or band. Easier vent and heat routing changes.

Love my 550
By Jodi Wallace

2006 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I have had this car close to a year. The only negatives: driver side window down is NOT aerodynamic, and wind is all over one's face. My phone is not picked up on the bluetooth (my phone is a brand new LG), and lastly, gas mileage is abysmal. However this car is fast as can be. 140 feels like 100. So get a good ticket attorney. I have had a lot of issues with the very very low front end on the sports package. The front bumper easily comes off bc it is so low and it catches on everything. Therefore, I park as if I drive a large SUV. This car is comfortable and very very fun to drive!

I love the Sirius satellite. I love the power, and the driver friendly dashboard arrangement is fantastic.

Bluetooth needs to be upgraded. No iPod link avail either. Can't drive with windows down bc the car is not aerodynamic enough. It blows wind right into one's face.

Wish I had More.
By bmhamlet

2006 BMW 5 Series 525xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall a great car. Smooth ride, quiet and comfortable. The engine in the 525 seems underpowered for the vehicle size which causes the transmission to shift strangely in gears 1 and 2. Very little road noise, great handling and gas mileage. Contrary to many comments the iDrive is not that difficult to learn.

Exterior styling. Mileage.

More engine horsepower. The 06 525 has 225 horses but still not enough for the cost. 300 hp should be a minimum. Go for the 550 if you can afford it. If not, the 530 gives better performance. Driver and passenger drink holders are a joke.

BIMMER
By hooperlauderdale

2006 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First Bimmer ever owned and never going back... most likely an M5 in a year or two as I crave more raw power!!

COMFORT COMFORT COMFORT--Overall an incredible car and I even like the i-Drive (although I do work in technology and like a challenge).

CD ROM Operating instructions - Most people never even bother to read their owners manual and then that's even more likely as the price of the car goes up!