Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Fantastic
By Miller

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for two and one half years and still love to drive it. The fuel economy is great for a V8 20 city and 26 hwy (actual). Handling is superb! I have sports package (highly recommended) which includes wide 18 inch wheels, which I highly recommend! Quality is top notch and fit is superior! If you can afford it, buy the 8 cylinder as there is nothing finer than a BMW 8 cylinder. Also the car retains more value as the 8 cylinder is in fewer numbers!

Handling, power, handling, fuel economy vs power, handling, quality fit, and handling!

The iDrive.

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 6M
By Joe V

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought used w/ 24K miles. This is a truly amazing car. I've had it now for 4 months and love it more every day. My only complaint was the REALLY bad OEM Dunlop DSST run-flat tires. BMW should be embarassed by these - LOUD as a truck and extremely jittery due to uneven tread wear all around. Replaced them a month ago with Pirelli P-Zero-Nero MS's and I have a totally different car. Handling & comfort are 100% improved. Trunk is huge. Sat radio & nav are great. Excellent night vision. 18 MPG in town - 28 MPG HWY. No regrets. A great purchase.

Handling & drive, Nav system & SAT radio are excellent. Blue-tooth phone connection is really simple & a huge asset. Sport seats are fantastic. An absolute pleasure to drive every day.

Allow seat-belt gong to be switched off if you step out of the car to get the mail or run to the ATM. Dunlop tires are the absolute worst I've ever driven. Cup-holders could be better.

Problematic 545
By mark levi

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 545 is a beautiful car with speed and handling performance that is exceptional. However, the iDrive is very difficult to navigate and we had problems with error messages on our screen from the beginning. There was always at least one and sometimes as many as 3 warning displays. The dealer was never able to fix them and didn't respond to our continued complaints. We finally turned it in about 24 months into a 36 month lease.

The 545 is a very fast and great handling car. It looks sharp and overall it is very fun to drive.

Get rid of the iDrive and all of the fancy electronics. They are so convoluted and difficult to use that it is a chore to adjust even the AC when driving.

Best car I've ever had!!
By dan

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had just about every make of automobile (cadillac, jaguar, porsche, s2000 and trucks), and this 5 series is the overall best car I've ever had. The only problem is the 6 cylinder is a little underpowered. But that is what I bought. Am looking to order a new 8 cylinder, and take delivery in Germany.

Quality and style. Heated seats and steering wheel.

none

My First was the Best
By thewonger

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st BMW was 1998 5-series that I regret not keeping. I'm on my 3rd 5- series and seriously considering another brand. The gas tank has been replaced, passenger side window motor replaced, the trunk opened randomly (finally figured out it was a faulty switch), alarm went off in my garage and it wasn't even armed (from what I've read, this was likely due to low battery drain), rt-rear passenger didn't always lock during drive-away, and passenger-side airbag sensor replaced. I like driving the car and the looks are great, but to have a $50k+ car in the shop so many times in 2 years is too much.

Great looks, fun to drive, rotating headlights are kick and stereo system is decent.

Cupholders aren't the best.