Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

From 7-series to 545
By tom

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Following 3 7-series BMWs (2 740s and a 745) I find this 545 to be a much more enjoyable car to drive. With Sport Package, road feel and handling are both outstanding, although I am not a fan of the Active Steering. The interior is at least as comfortable as the 7-series and acceleration is superior. Plenty of room for 4 large adults, icluding sufficient leg room in rear, but 5 adults should only ride for short distances.

Again, with the Sport Package, the handling and road feel are outstanding. More than enough power for acceleration from standing or when accelerating from 70 MPH to 90 MPH.

Give me an option to the iDrive, please. Even after a 745, I still object to having to go through such machinations to change radio channels.

From CL55 to BMW 545
By Phil

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Having come out of a CL 55 Merc. I found the BM only slightly slower. The BM's road holding is better, however its economy is the same as the 500bhp merc. The BM is a boring drive but I can live with that. I miss my TV and seat heating.

Handling

Seat heaters, throw away the I drive give us more buttons to brighten up the Cabin. Improve the exhaust note to at least a growl. You want to hear a 4.5 V8 growl.

A Joy To Ride
By mark

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought the 545 with SMG/ Sports package sight unseen on the recommendation of the salesman - glad I did. This car is an absolute joy to drive - I do ~60 miles each day and it's a pleasure.

acceleration, power and handling

plug and play ipod, ability for 04 models to use bluetooth

Solid Performer
By Dave

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded an '04 Mercedes e500 for the 545 and am happy with the decision. The 545 is sportier, a bit quicker and grippier on the roads. I have to say, I think the Benz has a few things over my 545 - interior and exterior design primarilly, though the "Banglisms" (designer) on this car are growing on me...

Bluetooth - if you have a bluetooth phone, you have to get connected with this feature. The most under-promoted, awesome feature aside from the car's engine itself! Justifies the iDrive -

Cupholders - sounds petty, but they could not have been designed more poorly by my 14-month old... Horrible and a source of frustration as cans wooble, bottled water doesn't fit and coffee is a non-option.

Passing on the curves
By geoffrey macpherson

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I owned an M6. I looked upon the 5 series with distain, a four door sedan for the family man. Not for a real life he-man who needed a vessel for all his testosterone. All that went out the window like so much cat hair on a windy day when I drove a 545 and fell in love. This car not only has more power than my 87 M6 but it's handling is actually better. so much for my distain of sedans. If there is any shortfall it's inside. I do miss the hand-stitched leather dash and the little non-functional soda cooler in the back. But that's more than made up for the ability to transport passengers who actually have legs. Bravo BMW, the 545 is a winner.

Engine. Suspension. Styling.

Leather. Lower the bloody price.