Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

545i; a great performer
By Joe

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a pre-owned 545i, with about 55k on the clock. The car is tight, without creaks and rattles, and the interior still looks largely new. My previous vehicle was an 06 Lotus Elise, and even so, I would say this car drives impeccably. Everything from the engine, to the weight distribution, to the suspension (sport package) to the transmission (6sp MT) is perfect. My only complaint with the whole car is the iDrive system; it's too cumbersome. Simple tasks like changing the radio station or ventilation settings should be easy to do with individual knobs without resorting to a series of menus.

Performance and style. Excellent ergonomics.

More knobs, less iDrive.

Sheer Driving Pleasure All Right!
By Dinan S1 Tuned 545!!

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

We thoroughly enjoy our fully loaded BMW 545 sports sedan. We have driven ALL the competitors, including many bona fide sports cars, but none is better overall than this ride. From the awesome power, razor sharp handling, luxury appointments, everything is very refined and simply world class. And because we also have a Dinan-S1 tuned 545er, the premier BMW tuner in North America, our car is a truly one-of-a- kind special ride. The Dinan suite of high performance upgrades, which includes such goodies as advanced engine management software, high flow air intake systems, free flow exhaust, suspension systems, ultra lightweight wheelsets and huge Brembo brakes, has made our ride TRULY sublime.

Sadly, better and stronger cup holders, almost universally complained about it seems. ventilated seats would be a nice add-on feature also, particularly on those hot, muggy and humid days!

Well, I always wanted one
By PJINCA

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 37th car in my life (more cars than years old) and I always wanted a 5 Series and now I fianlly got one. It is exactly what I wanted performance-wise, powerful, smooth and great handling. I have yet to feel the tranny shift, it is butter smooth. The comfort is excellent, I have both Sport and Premium pkgs and nav. The fit and finish are perfect and the brakes are great. My only complaints? Lack of storage - my cell phone resides on the shelf provided by the nav system. And apparently the computer is skewed, the other day my gas gauge read just under half tank, the computer told me I had 73 miles to empty, yet the fuels light came on and I had to put 17 gals into an 18 gal tank?

Suspension, brakes, engine, seats, and yes the iDrive (I work in IT so technology is something I enjoy), now I get the longing looks that I used to give when I saw a 5 series

Computer, nav should be satellite based not DVD, in a car this price range should multi-CD really be an option? And finally the ridiculous price from the dealer to have sat radio installed - it has satellite prep, but the radio costs $1000 installed (I got one for $29 and stuck it on the dash)

530I
By Stoney

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought mine with 15000 miles on it. I also owned a previous certified pre-owned 2000 (I can't get myself to puchase a new one). While I enjoy the "sedan" feel, it is not as responsive as my previous 5 series and also my wife's 335i blows it away in the fun category. But with that said, I bought a sedan and I love it (120 mph feels like 45 mph)! I only wish the ergonomics were a tad better (cup holders, cruise, tilt, wipers, etc.). For the money, give me the beemer and keep the lexus/acura!

heated stering wheel, bluetoothe, I-control, wipers, sport mode tranny.

Cup holders, come on deutshce engineers, thats your best?

Super Car, with Problems
By Maximum Bob

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I know the service techs far more than I should for such a great car. Do NOT put anything liquid in the trunk and expect not to fry your iDrive. Some idiots in Germany made the trunk porous and put the iDrive electronics package in the trunk, so if you have cooler and it tips over, immediately get out your rags, etc., and get that water out. I have fried the iDrive twice in this way, and it cost a bundle to fix it. Really poor engineering.

It drives like no-one's business. It goes, fast.

Seal the trunk, please.