Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW545i
By 545i

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love everything about the car but the iDrive control. Gas mileage is far less than stated on the sticker.

Steering control is great and pick-up is really fast.

Go back to the old type of controls for the radio, heater, etc. Much less confusing and far easier to maneuver.

Is it a Lemon?
By 1stBMWLastBMW?

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Took ownership end of Feb. Less than 12 hours later the car said I had a flat. Had to wait 1/2 day to diagnose myself and reset. A week later the computer reboots while doing the voice commands. A week or two after that Navigation tells me I'm driving in the ocean. Took it in and a week later it's fixed but after the s/w upgrade the computer rebooted twice (after it went to sleep a 2 days). Locking the car doesn't blink the lights nor chimes (intermitent). Going up the hill, it feels like it wants to stall (but doesn't). And now the latest: Steering wheel is pointing right. I feel like I'm driving a very expensive, very poorly designed car. Current mileage (1700)

It's fast. Design and location of buttons and controls around steering wheel is acceptable. Sports suspension and handling is good.

Make it more reliable. Make it more reliable. Make it more reliable.

2005 BMW 5 - Never Better
By GJ

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My 3rd new BMW. Almost didn't buy due to Consumer Reports ratings and negatives about iDrive.Tried comparable Mercedes and Lexus but they don't compare. Glad I stuck with the BMW. Traveling 60 miles daily on Pkwy and Tnpk, the ride is smooth, totally insulated, comfortable (cabin's larger) and responsive, like it understands. Driver's in control. No matter how long you drive it, it will continue to make you shake your head and smile. It out-manuevers any vehicle.Trust me.And iDrive took nothing to work. It's a computer with lots of options and visuals a traditional dash board display would be hard to accomodate. Conflicted? Drive one yourself. Don't rely only on ratings.

Immediate response, flexible manuevering, extremely comfortable seating, sound system, large trunk, larger cabin, cabin styling

None. They fixed the cup holders in this one!

fun to drive
By marc

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Just picked it up last week. Fun, very fast, and with the sport package it is on rails driving. I have pushed the car and have yet to hear the tires even start to slide or squeal. The only thing I don't like is that the beverage holders stink.

Power, style, class. This is a beautiful car. Everyone looks to check it out.

Beverage holders. Terrible.

545: Drive it, buy it.
By Salberts

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I did. I was bored. It was rainy. I had the kids. I decided to test drive the new 5. Since I owned (and loved) a 530i (2002), I had no intention of buying the new model. Long story short, I test drove a 545, and I was sold. Not only is power, cornering, and ride vastly superior to the prior 5, the interior and trunk is larger, and the interior is better laid out. After a few minutes of minor haggling, the papers were signed and I was behind the wheel of a new silver grey 545i beauty. I drove it all weekend. Even the kids enjoyed it.

I-Drive, and cup holders. I have even grown to like the way it looks.

A coin holder.