Used 2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Solid Performer
By Dave

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I traded an '04 Mercedes e500 for the 545 and am happy with the decision. The 545 is sportier, a bit quicker and grippier on the roads. I have to say, I think the Benz has a few things over my 545 - interior and exterior design primarilly, though the "Banglisms" (designer) on this car are growing on me...

Bluetooth - if you have a bluetooth phone, you have to get connected with this feature. The most under-promoted, awesome feature aside from the car's engine itself! Justifies the iDrive -

Cupholders - sounds petty, but they could not have been designed more poorly by my 14-month old... Horrible and a source of frustration as cans wooble, bottled water doesn't fit and coffee is a non-option.

A car you'll always remember
By Bob

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A total kick every time I get behind the wheel. The quality of the car and driving experience make this car worth every penny. Everyone should own one at least once. I felt the 330i was a little small, while the 530i was a perfect fit for my life style. Treat yourself........

The car sticks to the road like its on rails, especially going into turns. I love the iDrive and bluetooth integration.

A better mic for blue tooth communication would help, but hands free phone communication is an excellent safety feature. Having my iPod integrate with the sound system would be a plus. It is really hard to find fault with a car like this.

Passing on the curves
By geoffrey macpherson

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away, I owned an M6. I looked upon the 5 series with distain, a four door sedan for the family man. Not for a real life he-man who needed a vessel for all his testosterone. All that went out the window like so much cat hair on a windy day when I drove a 545 and fell in love. This car not only has more power than my 87 M6 but it's handling is actually better. so much for my distain of sedans. If there is any shortfall it's inside. I do miss the hand-stitched leather dash and the little non-functional soda cooler in the back. But that's more than made up for the ability to transport passengers who actually have legs. Bravo BMW, the 545 is a winner.

Engine. Suspension. Styling.

Leather. Lower the bloody price.

545 series rocks
By Bruce in Florida

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Having grown up in the fifties and sixties with muscle cars I really wanted another one but not some me too machine that had no class or handling. After driving everything out there from the Corvette to the Chrusler 300 I found the 545i with the sport package to be the best handling car I have ever driven. The progressive steering is awesome and stopping is as positive as is the neck snapping acceleration from the luxury type car. Once you get used to the screwy iDrive it's not as bad as it was in the earlier models and you get quite good at it. The Nav system isn't as intuitive or easy to use as the Lexus SC430 my wife has (which also boogies) but it's Okay. BMW has me two more years.

Cup holders are flimsy. Have at least one of the 12 Volt receptacles stay hot when the ignition is off for at least 60 minutes.

black beauty!
By dr smaha

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Can't wait to cross break-in period, this car is born to be driven hard. Exceptional handling, power to spare, gorgeous interior. What more can I say, except can't wait to drive the new m5. My jet black 545 truly gets better the faster and more demanding the driving gets, don't sell yourself short by going with the smaller 525/535. You will not be sorry with the sport-packaged v8. I've heard the iDrive was a paiN, but as a first time BMW buyer it is very easy to use. This car is why driving is so fun, I have no regrets at all, only tons of miles to enjoy. Ya-hoo!!

Luxurious interior, handling, very pleased with overall performance, and Ii haven't even pushed the motor.

possibly more horsepower (350-375 would be super)