Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 343 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

E60 verses E39
By Brandon Boles

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 04, 530i a little over a month ago. So far I am very pleased with the car. Overall it is a dream to drive. It has the sports package and it feels like it's on rails. I also own a 98 540i Sport. The overall compfort and flat out performance is a bit better on the 540 but it should be. It's a v8 car. I believe time will tell, that the 04, 530i will be a more reliable car. Believe it or not, the 540i fuel economy is a little better than the 530i. That may be due to driving habits. My 530 has a 6 speed manual, the 540 has the automatic steptronic transmission.

I-Drive is not for ID10T'S. Once you figure it out, it's like second nature. It's a neat concept. Handling is awesome and over all interior. Premium sound is a must also.

Cup holders. BMW engineers, please stop trying to make such a complicated cup hold that won't stand the test of time. All you need is two holes and a flap to cover it up when you aren't using it. My wife broke the passenger cup holder the 2nd day I owned the 530. I've replaced the 540s 3 times.

What's not to like?
By Phil B.

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am not sure if there is another car that better combines performance and luxury. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds, uncanny handling and feel, superb cockpit, plenty of rear seat room, excellent sound system. Why all the controversy over iDrive? It is about as easy to master as a simple video game. It seems the reviewers just needed something in the "con" column, because everything else is "pro".

Cornering with Active Steering.

More power ... wait, BMW just came out with the 360hp 550 in Europe. That will be my next car!

All eyes...
By H Power

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

No regrets in getting my Black 545i. I'm totally sold except that I'm filling up gas every 4 days. I love to race my car and it looks really sexy especially with my auburn interior leather.

Sports package, fast car!

Navigation system, heated backseats, better cupholder.

I love it!!!
By BobAnge

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This has to be one of the most exciting cars to drive today. I love it!!! A bonus that I didn't even expect was the great mileage I get when driving on the highway... 36MPG!!

The smooth 6 cylinder engine, steering system, 6 speed manual transmission, head lights, comfortable seats and unlike all the critics I do like the i- drive system.

I have the performance package which included the 18" low profile racing tires.....now that they are a little older they make a lot of noise.

I love my 545!
By Juneblooms

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW. My first was a 3 Series which I also enjoyed. The only reason I traded in my 3 series was due the pressure from my husband to upgrade. Once I drove my 545 just a few times I fell in love. I have never loved a car until I drove this car. I'm a mom and this car was my compromise to Momhood. I have room for three kids in back. Tons of trunk room and a sports car to drive. Yippee. The only bad part is I don't get to play with it very often because I'm usually hauling kids.

This is silly but the cup holders don't fit the car. How many cars can have that as their worst complaint.