Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 343 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Looks Great! Performs Good.
By CHDude

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Okay, consider the source, here. I am upgrading to the best class of car I have ever owned, but I know what a good and great car is. This is somewhere between good and great. I like what the Germans do with their cars. I like the way they build them. I like the way they design them, but the 530i is high maintenance. However, treat it right, and it will continue to make you happy. The handling on the 530i is unbeatable for a luxury sedan. The engine performance is deceptively good, not great, but good. Nevertheless, the interior is second to none. The looks combined with the great handling and good performance make it barely worth the price for me.

Driving position and features such as the highly adjustable seats, stellar AC, precise stereo sound, and clean instrument cluster are super nice. Also, the very nice exterior lines with aftermarket low profile rims make it look very classy.

The purchase price is borderline. Inversely, the resale value far above average. Overall, cost of ownership is too steep.

iDrive
By vetconstruction

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We picked up our low mileage unit a few months ago. It basically has every option aside from the active cruise control. We love this car, we also love the iDrive system. We researched the car to death and wonder why iDrive is so hated. If you can answer an e-mail and actually take the time to read the manual, this system is something to adore. The prologic 7 sound system is the best audio system on the planet. Smooth acceleration and gorgeous styling. We have clocked a few thousand miles and could not be any happier. The nav system is very nice as well.

1. The audio system. 2. The powerplant - quick and smooth. 3. The sport seats. 4. Fit and finish 5. Full privacy shades. 6. Did we mention the stereo and V8?

Lack of climate controls. Putting this feature in the iDrive system is actually a very bad idea. Cupholders. Leg room for backseat passengers.

Great handling - electronic bugs
By Paul M

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the curent body style BMW 530i, purchased near the end of 2003, when they first came out in Toronto. The driving experience is incredible. Handling is excellent compared to every other car I have driven. I tested many before buying the 530, including Volvo R60, Porche Cayenne, Audi A4/S4/A6, Mercedes SL500, Jag XJ-S, and loads of rental sedans. It has a heavy, solid feel compared to most other cars. A muscle car like a Mustang feels like there is more under the hood but the BMW is much more refined and very sporty. I took the BMW driving course and have gained a greater appreciation for the computer controls that keep you on the road. This car needs winter tires for snow conditions.

Handling, steering wheel feel, turns/curves at speed, throttle steering with rear wheels drifting, manual downshifting with Steptronic console shifter, awesome premium sound system, great braking, acceleration in sport mode, heated steering wheel and seats, cavernous trunk with fold down seats.

Cu holders are awful - replaced twice under warranty. Front suspension too shallow, bottoms out too easily on speed bumps. Surprised at how easily it is blown sideways in strong a crosswind. Had the car into shop at least 6 times for electronic related problems eg false idiot lights, telematics unit.

This is not what you want to buy
By Ray Vega

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I don't know what's going on with this cars. The noise inside my car is never ending. We brought it to the dealer several times to replace the seals on the four doors. Acceleration is very, very, extremely poor in the 525i. You can not pass a car in the city and mine is standard transm. My a/c always smells so bad that I always prefer driving with my windows down... for the price you pay? No way! This is a 40K car! I drive very poor.

Sirius radio, cornering, front HID lights.

Door seals (please) acceleration! iDrive!

Not for real road driving
By Los Angles

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Nice and fun car to drive, but not for real road driving apparently. Drove thru a puddle of water over a dip (deepest part 15 in), killed the whole engine by hydrolock (in a 2 years old car!) Air intake valve in this car is a lot lower than most of the cars (behind the front bumper). So it only looks good in the showroom and drives well in a closed course? Better wish it never rains in your area. We'll never buy a BMW again.