Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 343 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By ourtime

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my low mileage 545i not long ago and fell in love with it the first drive home. By far, the best car I've driven and owned. With the equipped sport package it corners like no other and never leaves you questioning it's abilities. Body roll is almost non-existent. The heated steering wheel and seats are great on chilly days and everything is laid out nicely. Interior materials and build quality rival anything on the market. Love the iDrive. To combine the amount of luxury and performance this car offers is pure genius. Nothing out there like it.

Acceleration, ride quality, cornering, comfort features, xenon headlights, instrument cluster, smoothness on any surface, parking sensors and iDrive, passenger leg room front and rear, logic 7 stereo is incredible

Cup holders are almost of no use to driver, no vent controls unless you go through iDrive

truly a driving machine
By ERM

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have the 545i with the sport package. It truly is a fantastic car. I have owned it for 24 months and still have a lot of fun driving it every day. It is fast, responsive and really connects with the road beautifully. The car really performs well at higher speeds. My mechanic said "It really doesn't start breathing until it reaches 80 mph. I highly recommend this car, It is a pleasure and a joy to drive.

handling, sport package, sound system, overall performance and great gas (18 mpg city) mileage for a V-8

Cup holders but I've learned to live with them. With the i-drive there really isn't anywhere to put them.

Not the best of best
By wmc

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased the 525i to replace a Q45t Infiniti. It is a different world. The BMW is much more sporty than the old pillow barge but it is not as comfortable on long road trips (we drive it to Seattle almost every year, ~ 3000 miles RT). I find the drivers seat small and cramped, although my wife likes it fine. Handling is good and the ride is adequate. The 4 year $0 maintenance is good and it was needed. A lot of small problems including a bad window motor, broken cup holders, dashboard computer replaced.

Spectacular gas mileage. Holding at 65 will give 38 mpg on the highway. Averaged 32 mpg over a 1000 mile trip. Solid handling on the road. Great trunk space.

The iDrive is awful, a product designed by engineers for engineers. Cup holders are flimsy and poorly placed. The center console is unusable.

Ergonomics
By Happy Back

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The BMW 530i has an option to upgrade to a supremely adjustable ergonomic seat - a must for long commute times. This throne fit for a king comes in a fantastic package of performance, safety and security and style.

So many great features in this car! Some that make driving easier: ergonomic seat option, programmable buttons on the steering wheel make it possible to flip stations and perform other functions without taking hands off the wheel, visor flips from front to side window, good visibility.

Would be nice to make the cupholder deeper, so the morning cafe latte stays put. Visor could be extendable, to cover full side window. Mileage could certainly improve.

Well, well, well
By Bimmamma

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for three years now. Although, I really dig this car, I must say it really doesn't handle well in the snow. I've gotten stuck plenty in the snow over the last three years. BMW needs to do something about better winter performance or I will be forced to purchase other vehicles and leave Bimmers alone completely. I can't believe I said that but my safety and well-being come first. My neighbor has a Chevy Cobalt and it gets around better in the snow than my Bimmer EVER could. BMW better think of customer safety if they want my continued business!

Still like the lights most of all.

Better performance in the winter/snow or it's a Chevy for me.