Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 525i Response
By Sanjay Ganju

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 525i sports trim for the last 4 years. First there is constant problem with the dashboard electronics. Some pixels keep missing. Also there are chronic issues with alternator and additional electronics in the car. It is like dying a death by 1000 cuts. This car stalled on me twice on the highway. Somehow I came out one piece. Each time a repair is conducted results in 500-1000USD tab and if you go to their dealer then God help you. BMW is a sleek and sporty car but sell it as soon as the manufacturer warranty is over.

Good speakers etc. Excellent acceleration.

Can't afford premium fuel. Lousy reliability of electronics. Most of the electronic sensors start dying after 5 years. Chronic problems with alternator etc. Very low clearance results in front hood damage at curbs due to very low clearance. Overall a lousy car and not worth it.

Awesome ride
By csfischer20

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this Bimmer at a great price and I fell in love with it the second I sat down and started it. They come well equipped and ride awesome. I've had an Audi before and it was just too much to maintain. The more research I did the better I felt about getting a BMW. It's certified and has all of the records. Just enough pick up on the streets, but not a gas hog. I didn't like the body style of the 2004 so I went with this one. It's everything I hoped it would be.

AC, stereo, moonroof and the choice between manual or auto shifting.

I really have nothing except the cupholders could have been placed better... but that is far from my mind when I hit the road.

After its fifth birthday
By dmotzev

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just recently, I happened to trade in a six months old Japanese coupe for this 5 year old German saloon. What a difference! This is my first personal BMW and although it has almost 60000 miles on it, it feels tight and responsive. In fact, I test drove an E60 530i before I bought this one, but it just did not feel right. The combination of the M Sport package, the Premium package and the manual transmission creates an extremely convenient, yet amazingly looking everyday driver. Navigation is handy, but costs money to keep up-to-date. If you prefer adrenaline pumped driving, better look for a 540i/M5, but if you do not require extreme performance, you are going to love this car!

The manual transmission, Xenon headlights, DSC, M Sport Package, ingenious part engineering (incredibly easy servicing of the vehicle), excellent fuel economy (for its class).

A way to prevent the annoying pebbles from entering behind the front brakes heat shields?

Performance with a Price
By Bill

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a splendid, intoxicating driving experience that had the hair on my head tingling for the first 2 months that I drove... BUT, OMG tires wore out at 15K, stabilizer bar, computer problems, display board problems surfaced at 3 yrs. $5K in repairs later (out of warranty on the listed items) and a few other "normal" expensive repairs and I am ready to sell it for a more reliable performance vehicle. Just frustrating to have to endure the financial and disappointing pain a $50,000 car should NOT give you. Be cautious when you purchase this one.

Fit and finish of the car. Handling, performance, style.

Solid and Nimble
By davethewave

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very good build quality and performance. 93K and still no rattles, but rotors and heater are sounding worn out. Had computer chip go out under warranty, so reliability is not as good as expected for car at this price level. Dealer service was inconvenient. I have no regrets, but I would probably not buy another one new - mainly because I live too far from a dealer, and I don't like the new 5-series styling and high price.

Engine response, steering and handling - the German driving feel is addicting. Gas mileage of 28 mpg is great for this class of car.

Increase number of qualified service centers to perform warranty work. Reduce the road noise during normal driving.