Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Excellent Power Train but Bad Gadgets
By Steven

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is an excellent piece of machine especially if you like its aggressive and bossy exterior look. However, given the power train and the handling are excellent, there are just too many little problems that constantly haunt you. For example, weak cup holder (I replaced it twice), flimsy exterior thermostat (replaced twice), unreliable cooling system.

Engine, Power, Exterior Look, Handling

Weak cup holder (I replaced it twice), flimsy exterior thermostat (replaced twice), unreliable cooling system.

540i M-Sport (where do I go from here?)
By Dan

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Experiencing the performance of this car is simply amazing. This car does everything so well (acceleration, handling, comfort and luxury) all while looking so classy. I expect I will be hard pressed to find something to replace it any where close to the 61K I paid for it. The M-Sports package does some pretty remarkable things to this car. I definitely love the edgy, aggressive look of this car as compared to the E60. So, far I have had a few repairs which can add up at the dealership but I honestly think taking very good care of this car is so worth it. If they sold this exact car new, I would buy it again - it's that good. I would highly recommend it if you can find one.

Performance (acceleration and handling) / Build Quality Comfort and Luxury / Beautiful styling inside and out / I look for excuses to drive

Car is not too good in snow (snow tires and some weight in the trunk help) / fuel efficiency (but I understand the trade off for performance) / cup holders

Awesome!!
By John

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a sedan for my wife and wanted something fun to drive for me with room for kids, dog and golf clubs. Purchased the 530i with sport package. Never expected the handling and responsiveness. Enough power for a car this size and decent gas mileage. The sport wheels just want to make you stare at the car and admire!!!!

Handling with sport package, feel of smaller steering wheel, quality of materials.

Like everyone else - better cup holders and arm rest storage. Large side view mirrors too.

A little more than the speed limit.
By 2manycars

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I don't care where I'm going or how long it takes to get there, this car is way too much fun. Four people and trunk full, run 80 or so, and still get 29mpg. Stop for minute, get in and do it all over again. No road weary travelers in this car. 8 hour drive seems like 4. Regular maintenance, no major problems, not the cheapest car to maintain, and it's not easy to find a "good" BMW shop, but still it's worth every penny. I think I'll keep this car for a while, if I can get it back from the wife.

Handling, style, ride quality, quiet interior, reliability.

Better cup holders. Dude, we like coffee okay. Radio doesn't stink but could be better.

Very Reliable
By scott

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 85k on it. Sold it with 130k. Only had one problem ac related 150.00 fixed it. Ran great good gas mileage and looks beautiful. Blizzaks on the back will make winter driving no problem (within reason). Don't be afraid to buy. Engine and tranny are bulletproof.

heated steering wheel, solid ride

Cup holders, fan control button flimsy and time consuming to use.