Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great performance.
By Roger K.

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Arguably the best sports sedan of its time (M5 excepted) and a classic in the making. This car is all about driver synergy and performance. You feel integrated with the machine: it does what you want, when you want. Reliability is a problem: radiator, digital displays, door seals, HVAC have all failed. Although problems are expected four years out, I never had this much trouble with Japanese cars. That being said, try finding a Japanese sedan that is as good to drive. Low profile tires and sports package make for cautious parking (but I can't blame BMW for that). Buy this car if driving experience is the priority.

Handling, power, styling, comfort, sound system.

Reliability, cupholders. That's it. I understand they fixed the cupholders with the current version.

540i cannot be beat
By raj

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever driven. Also own a CL500 and I prefer the 540 over the Merz. Great car and the only reason I would replace is if I get a 545i. Performance cannot be beat, great ergonomics. BMW really builds a car around driving. Don't get this car if you like eating or drinking in the car, that's what American cars are for.

Power!

Shorter gears should be default, although this can be overcome by shifting into Sport mode.

Perfect Car
By jetjock07

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for only 2 days, but it feels like I've had it longer. It's a beautiful car. Mine came with the black leather interior and Premium Package along with the sunshades in the rear. The car handles well, not too stiff or too cushiony. Has good power, the 525i was too slow so I got the 530i. I just wish now I had seat heaters with my car.

Xenon headlights, sunshades in the rear, leather seats.

Cup holders are cheap. Could use something much stronger and something that fits a variety of drink sizes.

Excellent Value!
By BTinDallas

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a car after losing my company car. I looked at a lot of offerings and finally decided on the 530i. I bought it about 4 mos. ago and love it. This is my 2nd BMW (my other is a 1988 M6) and it is everything I thought it would be. I bought mine with 65K on the odo, but it is a CPO car with the 100K warranty. It is probably the best value out there. I got one of the best sport sedans made, with a factory warranty, for under 21 grand! I'm glad I got the sport package, it really adds to the looks and handling!

Sport package with steptronic transmission! Styling, ride, gas mileage.

Cup holders! Interior storage - I bought the center console conversion kit to replace the standard cell phone holder with a lift up storage area, best $150 I ever spent!

Just over a year and love it
By Jeff Allen

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is solid, goes like mad and is a blast to drive. The V8 is a hoss, smooth and has lots of power. The balanced handling is also incredible. It is hard to believe you are driving such a big car. No reliability issues to speak of yet. The car sucks the gas if you drive it - not much of a surprise there. The stereo is also very good and feature list goes on and on. Sport package is a must. Mine has no GPS but I don't know if it is necessary - less to worry about breaking.

Handling and straight line acceleration. Fit and finish (exterior and interior). Good looking exterior design.

Weird rubber tie downs in trunk. Annoying problem with LCD below the odometer (some rows of lights don't light up). Bad brake dust on wheels.