Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I JUST LOVE THIS CAR!
By MP Morris

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

WIth traffic increasing daily in Atlanta, I decided to sell my daily driver (Mini Cooper S) for a larger and heavier car in 2013. I lucked up, found a 2002 530i, and bought it immediately. This has been one of my best purchases ever! The E39 handles like a dream, and has only had the normal problems that come with a car of its age.

I can only exclaim "I JUST LOVE THIS CAR"!

Trade it before it goes out of warranty
By Samuel Reese

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 530i purchased in 2005 with 34k miles. After 100k interior cooling fan burned out and short circuited my electronics $1500. Rear door gaskets went bad $500. Transmission failed $4500 used. Had to replace the guibo. Passenger window regulator replaced then drivers window regulator failed. Within 2 yrs drivers side failed again.Inner and outer tie rods have been replaced 3 times. Both seat motors no longer work. Windshield wiper motor burned out twice. Fan clutch failed. Of course the cup holders broke before 100k and radio display you can't read.Even doing the majority of the work myself the car is a money pit. Now I have 213k and want to sell it. No characters left to list all.

Body style never ages still looks good. Very fun car to drive good power and handles very well.

Build with better quality parts. Consumers pay too much money for a car that is so cheaply put together.

Fantastic Car
By archer_r

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and it still impresses me by its performance, handling, and comfort. The engine has ample power throughout the entire rev range. You could be cruising in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and it will still pull when you put your foot down. The car also rides very well. The ride is stiff yet comfrotable. You definately feel the road well and feel every bump, but it's never uncomfrotable. The steering is also nice as well. It really makes you feel connected to the road, which is something some modern cars lack. For being a mid-sized sedan, this car really handles well. You can definately take corners with a lot of confidence in this car.

I love the design of this car, inside and out. Xenon headlamps with halo lights look beautiful. Very spacious interior. Very luxurious inside. Dual zone climate control. Easy controls. The engine is powerful, but this car is actually very fuel efficient. I average 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway! Favorite thing about this car by far is that it's fun to drive!

Electronics of this car are not reliable at all. The motor for the power seats on my car doens't work at all. I've replaced the rear passenger power window motor and it went bad again after 3 weeks. ABS module and Traction Control module went bad and had to fix those. Lastly, this car has the worst designed cup holders I have ever seen. I rather they just made the car without cupholders than made these honestly. One last complaint is that this car is prone to burn oil whenever you take it at highway speeds. It's nothing drastic, but definately something to keep an eye on.

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior.
The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic.
There are controls on the panel that are falling apart.
The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is.
Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out.
BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it.
I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials.
I have also been disappointed with the reliability.
Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs.
I won't buy another BWM.

Buy the extended warranty
By Robert

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

the handling is great. No sense of speed.

reliability. This car has had too many issues. if it was not paid for I would have traded it in. I do not think I would buy BMW again. Go Acura.