Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Excellent.. BUT
By MRF

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

While this is certainly the finest car I've ever owned, I have been rather disappointed with a few items. Good stuff: This car has an amazing balance of handling prowess and ride quality. It's quiet (except for Dunlops) and feels planted at any speed. The sport seats are incredibly supportive and the controls are well-placed. Silver/black which is a stunning combination. No comparison to my Saab 9-5 in most ways. Main complaint comes from the seriously weak sound system (base system) and the creaks/rattles that come (I'm told) from my fold down seats. Hey BMW, don't offer fold downs if you can't build them without resulting in rattles. Rust spots not covered by BMW (still fighting).

Incredible car to drive. Love the sport/prem/winter pckgs. Great power and gas mileage (on highway) not so hot on gas around town. Beautiful car, even after five years on the road. Great seats. Incredible car but for a few disappointments that I was not expecting from the ultimate vehicle.

Don't offer fold down seats if you can't engineer the car structurally to handle them. Tons of creaks all over the car. Cup holders are a complete joke. The sound system is horrible for a $50K+ car. It's a joke and I'm embarrassed for people to hear it. Several rust spots.

Gotta love BMWs
By SheBMW

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 5 years now, and I will not part with it for love or money. She ROCKS!! I love the styling, the feel of the car on the road, and the response of that smooth inline-6. Have heard of people having trouble with theirs, but we've had countless BMW's in the family, and never a day of trouble. This will certainly not be the last BMW I drive - I'm a die-hard BMW fanatic!!!!

Sport-package suspension and handling. I can do whatever I like to this baby and she hugs the road with all she's got - gives me goosebumps!!! Also love the steptronic transmission.

Cupholders! But who cares, I'm having too much fun driving to think of having a drink.

If I weren't typing I'd be driving!!
By axelro43

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car!! Handling and speed are superb. Xenon is wonderful. The Interior is plush and driver friendly. Cupholders aren't great but you won't think about drinking anything while driving this performance machine!! In addition I believe that this is one of the best looking vehicles on the road as well as best performing! You'll never sell it!!

Xenon, steptronic transmission.

BMW 530IA Sport Package
By Todd Baker

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 530IA is one of the best cars on the road. It is extremely reliable as far as making sure you get to and from your appointment. Many times, even the car is having issues.. the parts are so 'tough' that they will even get you to the dealership in a 'reasonable' amount of time w/o a tow. Of course.. there have been no 'major' failures thus far. The car handles like a race car.. but you can put your parents in the back seat for those trips to and from the airport. Lots of space where it is needed.. but gives most Corvettes a real run for the money off the line and at high end speeds. The car is at home around 90mph on the freeway. You hardly notice when you pass 120. NICE CAR.

Safety systems make sense. Well engineered. Car is well balanced. Its like driving an accurate throwing knife. Car accelerates well.. and high end pickup and ride is exceptional. Xenon headlights are good. Sport Package is worth the extra money. Heated seats are excellent.

Service costs are a little bit high. I recommend the 100,000 warranty at time of sale. More if you can get it. The stuff that fails isn't typically 'nuclear' and you can tell that the engineering overall is exceptional. Parts might 'get sick' well before they 'fail' which is a nice safety assurance.

New to me! Elegant and fun A+
By Xclent

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having just recently purchased my first BMW 530iA, although used, I can honestly say I am not disappointed with my decision. This car is superb. Sport, convenience and premium package with 17 inch wheels. I did order new headlights from an aftermaket internet wholesaler and that did the trick. The front looks new again. Getting rid of yellow and cracked lights will give your BMW or any car for that matter a new look again. If you decide to purchase a clean title BMW 530i you will be pleased every morning when you turn the key to go to work. :)

Performance, engine hum, handling, looks and quality materials in the cabin, no cheap plastics here.

Better sound system, low end bass below par for what I expected and perhaps better fuel effenciency.