Used 2001 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Executive Ride
By Chris

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Found myself wanting a sporty, high-end sedan and the 2001 530 with Sport and Premium is most definitely it. Took some time to find a manual, and silver wasn't my first color choice but found one with less that 50K miles. Car is beautiful inside and out, will enjoy for a long time. Sport suspension makes you really feel the road yet nothing jarring, acceleration is surprising with a relatively big car with a six cylinder, and the engine is incredibly quiet. Time will tell re reliability, disappointed that a week after purchase the alternator went out on me. Rec - don't take to dealer, find a good indie mechanic and get to know him.

Two piece alloy rims. Sport package. Xenons. Beautiful interior. Incredibly solid feel on road. DSP stereo system impressive, esp. since not usually a strength of BMW's.

No power for passenger seat with Premium package is strange. Pixel issue already starting to affect radio display. Just a little more HP would have been nice. Shift throws are a bit long, could be tighter.

German Quality
By Maximus

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was shopping for a 4 door sedan for a while. I choose this car over the Saab 9-3 Vector and Audi A6. The first time you drive, you will feel the difference between the cars. The solid interior and precise handling, the deep tone of the 3.0L engine is just music to your ear. This car is way better built than saab or audi. I compared the 530 to the 540 . It is really a catch of badges since the 540 is 340 lb heavier than the 530 you really only gain a minimal performance but instead of getting 21mpg in city you will most likely get around 16-17.For exacly that reason I choose the 530.

Steptronic is the best clutchless manual I've ever driven. Xenon lights are handy too.

Stereo system, sounds like my granpa's SOKOL radio from the 1980's.

Excellent.. BUT
By MRF

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

While this is certainly the finest car I've ever owned, I have been rather disappointed with a few items. Good stuff: This car has an amazing balance of handling prowess and ride quality. It's quiet (except for Dunlops) and feels planted at any speed. The sport seats are incredibly supportive and the controls are well-placed. Silver/black which is a stunning combination. No comparison to my Saab 9-5 in most ways. Main complaint comes from the seriously weak sound system (base system) and the creaks/rattles that come (I'm told) from my fold down seats. Hey BMW, don't offer fold downs if you can't build them without resulting in rattles. Rust spots not covered by BMW (still fighting).

Incredible car to drive. Love the sport/prem/winter pckgs. Great power and gas mileage (on highway) not so hot on gas around town. Beautiful car, even after five years on the road. Great seats. Incredible car but for a few disappointments that I was not expecting from the ultimate vehicle.

Don't offer fold down seats if you can't engineer the car structurally to handle them. Tons of creaks all over the car. Cup holders are a complete joke. The sound system is horrible for a $50K+ car. It's a joke and I'm embarrassed for people to hear it. Several rust spots.

Gotta love BMWs
By SheBMW

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 5 years now, and I will not part with it for love or money. She ROCKS!! I love the styling, the feel of the car on the road, and the response of that smooth inline-6. Have heard of people having trouble with theirs, but we've had countless BMW's in the family, and never a day of trouble. This will certainly not be the last BMW I drive - I'm a die-hard BMW fanatic!!!!

Sport-package suspension and handling. I can do whatever I like to this baby and she hugs the road with all she's got - gives me goosebumps!!! Also love the steptronic transmission.

Cupholders! But who cares, I'm having too much fun driving to think of having a drink.

If I weren't typing I'd be driving!!
By axelro43

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car!! Handling and speed are superb. Xenon is wonderful. The Interior is plush and driver friendly. Cupholders aren't great but you won't think about drinking anything while driving this performance machine!! In addition I believe that this is one of the best looking vehicles on the road as well as best performing! You'll never sell it!!

Xenon, steptronic transmission.