Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Car
By WRC13

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my dream car. Having owned a couple of 3 series over the years I am partial to BMW. So take my advice for what it is worth. The motor is great. Mileage is not great. Comfort high. Transmission smooth. 18" wheels look great and the ride is still good. The only complaint from me is the steering does not feel quite as crisp as the 530I. I think this is due to the weight of the V8 so BMW had to use a different setup. And about those flimsy cupholders. Who in their right mind would eat and drink in a $60,000 car while driving around...

Everything. All around a great car!

Steering is somewhat numb. I do like the steering on the 530I better.

Best car I've ever owned
By Rubens

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best bimmer ever made. Reliable and performance are the words describing this baby. For best drive you will need to maintain the car...and when I say maintaining I mean it. So far I spend about 1000$ a year (it's my 3rd year for breaks, oil and air filter...tune up). But I still enjoy and love this beast!!!!

Very reliable and performance is second to none. I never drove a car this fun to drive. The ultimate driving machine.

more horse power

Not that bad!
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in October of 2008 and I must say I'm not ashamed of my BMW. I get a lot of compliments all the time. It gets good gas mileage and has a lot of get up and go. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE before this car and the BMW is as good as it. I'm only 16 also. I recently had to replace the alternator and I'm having to get new tires and rims because of a roaring noise but I was gonna get new tires and rims anyways so that is not a real big deal. Overall I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Powerful, smooth ride, handles well, fun to drive. Compliments I get from my friends!!!

Improve radio, CD player will not played MP3 discs.

Good car
By Dutch in Texas

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 540iA with Sport Package is great to drive. The car is rock solid on the road, but I have had a number of parts replaced. My one gripe with the car is it sits too low to the ground. My front bumper cover and front air spoiler were torn off by objects. The car is solid to speeds up to 145 mph (yes, we drove it that fast once as per the speedometer). There is likely some small amount of speedometer error. I purchased the extended warranty, and it was a wise investment. The extended warranty cost ~$3,300, but it got me a new factory radio, radiator, radiator expansion tank, power steering pump, and several thousand dollars of replacement suspension parts (plus service).

Solid ride. Very stable.

Front air spoiler and front bumper cover sit too low to the ground. Inside door handles and cup holders are cheap.

Black on Beige Sport/Premium
By The Tom

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first non-US made car and I am in love with "my baby". I am 6'3" and 260 lbs. The 530 fits like a glove. Plus I have a family so I use the space of the 5-series. To me, it is the best of everything. As of this writing I have logged over 30k miles as I purchased pre-owned. Has had a bit more maintenance cost than my US cars however it is a high-end car which drives and looks like no other. Most issues are regular 'wear-out' items like H2O pump, hoses, belts.

Styling, engineering, handling, looks, 'Wow' factor, engineering, attention getter, fun to drive, really a classic sought after model (just a little larger than current 3-series as the 3 keeps getting bigger). And as one neighbor says, "Sweet".