Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I'd buy one again
By Pam

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

Looks, handling, and pick-up speed.The seats are very comfortable for me and my passengers agree.The sound system is excellent.

Cup holders. A compass would be nice. I don't need a navagation system.

Best Car EVER
By Autobahn driver

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th BMW and my favorite overall. Took delivery at German factory and drove in Europe for 6 months at autobahn speeds, then another 6 years of pure fun. Quiet, safe and secure at 50 mph or 120 mph. Except for the cupholders and the climate control, everything has held up beautifully, and the body style is a classic. Sports package and 5-speed manual makes the car. Repairs are getting expensive but worth it as I plan to keep this car another 6 years. A radar detector is recommended.

Handling and secure feeling inside the car. Comfortable to drive under all conditions.

Cupholders still terrible even on the new models but there are aftermarket fixes.

Own it till it stops
By ritzcook

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned 5 series since '85 - 528e, 535is, M5, u name it. This car has been the best of the lot. Beautiful classic exterior and interior lines - 2.8L is BMW's most reliable in-line 6 with plenty o' power (yes the M5 clearly is the pocket rocket, but 2.8 can get up and go and is easier on the gas guzzling.) The E39 is also the last 5 model without the ridiculous iDrive computer, which is completely unneccessary for driving, a safety hazard and blight on the dashboard. No major repair issues to date. When this stops running, I'll buy another used E39.

It rocks, but fix the climate control
By BMW Lover

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this one with 17k miles on it - for $10K under book. What a deal!!! I replaced the noisy Yokohamas with Bridgestone SO2's (Pole Positions) and could actually hear the beautiful engine sounds. Handles like a dream - loves the rainy roads almost better than the dry. Always ready to go as fast as I dare and never balks. I bought an extended warranty to 7 years/100K miles - great idea. I've gotten more than I paid for the warranty in paid repairs - some are right expensive. Biggest complaint is that BMW Service can't seem to find out why it is blowing A/C in my face when it's 45 degrees outside and I've got both thermostats set on 78-80 degrees. It makes me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Speed, handling, wood burl trim, fit & finish - German design and engineering (except for the can holders & plastic door handles)

The climate control system seems to have lost it's brain. Surely there is a way to regulate the temperature to maintain an even temperature without the wild swings. I think the temp sensor is right behind the can holders - odd place and reacts to drink temps to regulate interior climate.

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

Performance, Ride, Handling, Braking. Once went from 90 to 30 as quickly as possible due to lane infringement - car never shook or quivered - just stopped on a dime. Saved us from a nasty accident.

Interior quality is suspect in a couple of areas: cup holders, rattles in dash, and plastic seat modlings on driver side break and cause power motors in seat to disconnect. Overall, I would say BMW needs to improve reliability. For a $55k car, repairs should be less of an issue.