Used 2000 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

Power and the smooth ride.

I had some electronic problems and the CD used to skip all the time. I tried to fix that several times but, it kept doing it. Parts could be really expensive, so is maintenance.

2000 540i sport
By i006129

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

After five years of driving, the 540 with the sport package is the most fun car I have ever driven. The six speed manual is a necessity. That said, this is also the most delicate car I have ever driven. Lots of issues with sensors, water pump and radiator replacement etc. The radio is also less than stellar. Not even worth calling a stereo. I spend on average $1500-2000/year on maintenance and repairs. Part of this cost is getting the wheels repaired after hitting speed bumps too fast (sport package comes w/low profile tires and alloy wheels). I don't know if this is typical, but I'd suggest budgeting for higher than average repair costs. All that said, i'm still addicted to the drive.

the driving experience, auto dimming r/v mirror, interior

cup holders are CHEAP, fewer sensors to break,

A foreign muscle car
By luv it

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

It took a while to find, but my persistence yielded me a used 540i with aftermarket intake and exhaust upgrades. Stock HP is already 282, and with the upgrades mine is around 310. The 5 series is one of the best combinations of sport and luxury you'll ever find. Don't hesitate to get one!

Pleasure and pain
By cobra27

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car w/38k miles. In the 22k I've put on it, it's given me lots of smiles, and also had me cursing at it. It's a great performer and handler, but I've replaced a mass air sensor, camshaft sensor, CD changer and more. I'm not sure if I would get another one.

Performance.

A car this expensive should be more reliable.

Performance, Reliability, and Economy
By headhound

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for over 56,000 miles and 106,000 miles overall. Recent engine oil analysis showed almost no wear. Gas mileage is averaging 24 MPG in mixed driving. Car has exceptional acceleration at any speed and even better braking. As much under control at 120 as at 40. Interior comfort could be better but control layout is totally logical. Some wear on seat plastic trim. Maintenance is easy but not cheap. Expensive but worth it.

Acceleration. Braking. Handling. Fuel economy. Great sound system. Logical layout of controls.

Cost of maintenance. Wear of minor time. Seats could be more comfortable.