Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car to buy for the money
By IK

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. It already had 92000 miles. I drove for one year and it is over 100K. The car runs perfect and in a very good shape. The only thing is you have to change the oil on time and the car will last you for a very long time. It is perfect for short or long trips. You can be a single person or have a family, this car will work for you no matter what. When it comes to snow, it is not that difficult to drive if you know what you're doing. Overall, the car is great and I would recomend it to anyone who can afford it.

Nice heated seats, radio on the stearing weel and much more.

I just hope that it would be no options for the future models and they will be fully loaded like acuras. You have to pay extra money for more improvements. Sometimes it is just too much to pay for.

Yeah, baby!!
By Childersb

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My wife made me buy it. Honest! I was set on a 2002 Lexus IS300. Boy, was she ever right! There is just no comparison between the two. This is by far a classier, more powerful (and expensive) animal of a car! And, I bought it with17K miles for $10K below book. Yeah, baby!! I bought an Extended Warranty for $2400 and have gotten $2000 worth of use from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THESE CARS!! As has been said, repairs are expensive -every time. Though, I have had no major issues with this car. I put Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires - $1Kfor 4 - 20K miles a set - on this car. It LOVES the rain, almost better than the dry road. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Speed, handling, 6-speed, creature comforts inside. I can run off and leave just about anybody - and, boy is that fun.

The automatic climate controls leave something to be desired. 35 degrees outside, temp set to 74 degrees (bothsides) and it's blowing COLD A/C in my face - maddening. United BMW can't seem to hear me tell them it's BROKEN. Tomohawks are pretty fragile and expensive to replace. Cupholders SUCK!

2000 528i Sport
By mhardey

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since new, and after three
and one-half years and 108,000 miles still
feels like a new car. The ride on the sport
suspension is solid as a rock; with Bridgestone
Pole Position S-03's it goes around corners like
it's on rails, yet is quiet on the highway. At a
steady 65 mph will deliver 32+ mpg.
Outstanding for a car that can do 0-60 in
under 8 seconds and is capable of cruising all
day at 90 mph with incredible comfort.

Love the five speed, sweet motor sounds over 3,500 rpms and confidence-inspiring suspension and Dynamic Stability Control. Keeps you out of trouble in all conditions.

The cup holders - both front and rear - (technically they're can holders) are a bad joke. I've replaced the rears with European spec storage tray, and have to be careful with the fronts, which have been replaced twice.

Allen's critique
By BMWfool

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is a gas to drive. Responsive
and solid. Feels and handles like a
sports car. Now the bad news: be
prepared to be raped by your local BMW
service dept. They assume all owners
are rich and do not care about price.
My dealer was charging my wife $125
for an oil change!(Try $8 a qt. for
Mobil 1 that can be had at parts
stores for under $6) Routine repairs
are always $800 to $1,000. I have all
the service records and will be happy
to share the news.I will buy another
when pigs learn to fly.
My '01 Corvette is faster,way cooler
and I get the oil changed for $40.

Handling and braking

Reasonable service charges. That's it in a nutshell and I know I can't be the only customer who will not return because of the arrogant outlandishness of the service departments.

2000 540i 6-spd.
By El Jefe

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic, fantastic car. Elegant and
luxurious, but crack the whip and you
can get places in a hurry. Doesn't
handle or feel like a 3,800 lb. car. I
had a '99 M3 for three years and loved
that rig, but this one can essentially
do everything that car could, while
offering more room and many more
standard features. Too bad BMW lost
focus and is now turning out hideous
designs and chasing after segments they
should never bother touching.

Acceleration, braking and handling. Looks. DSP audio. One-touch windows down AND up -- why doesn't every manufacturer offer this?

Shorter shifter throws. One-button shut down of the AC/heater instead of having to cycle the fan speed down to "zero". Bigger trunk. In-dash CD changer. A box of cash in the trunk so I could trade up to an M5!