Used 1998 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I'll Drive It Another 10 Years
By jkhuddy

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Rock solid at 150K miles. Replaced all cooling components (pump, radiator, thermostat & housing, belts) as a precaution at 140K. Just replaced the struts (they didn't owe me a thing.) Great gas mileage (30+ on highway); having a manual tranny helps. Looks good, handles great, safe and comfortable. Best six cylinder on the market. Bullet-proof drive train. Mine is Canyon Red, which looks great on this car.

Engine/drive train and suspension. Handling. Fuel efficiency. Structural integrity. Reliability. Easy to work on (really!) Parts aren't too bad if you know where to shop.

Cupholders? The Germans didn't want us to have them anyway. Drive the car and have your coffee at the diner. Less plastic in critical cooling system components.

This car is fast
By 540inupe

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My 3rd BMW. Since I have had this car I have had wheel bearings replaced twice. Valve cover gasket replaced. One day I could not get in the damn car. I unlocked the door and the door handle would not let me in the damn car. I crawled in through the back door while my 6 year old kid laughed at me. The next time I picked her up from school she said “Daddy you should leave the windows down and slide in like the DUKE boys”. I have only had cold A/C 1 out of the 4 years I have owned this car. I drove in to work with my back wet from sitting in this hot box.

Power

Valve cover gaskets, water pumps cupholders, window regulators

My 1998 540i Rocks!
By My 540i Rocks!

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Okay, bought my 540ia used from a lease, it is still in perfect condition at 65,700 miles. This car rocks! I have owned 3 Cadillacs in the past, this car is more refined, tighter, and just plain rocks! The power of the BMW V-8 is tremendous, much more than the Cadillacs I had. This car is fun to drive, handles like the blazes, and makes me feel good. Everything, and I mean everything, still works perfectly on mine. I own a museum condition E30 with 16,100 miles on it, it is in great condition, but this E39 with over 65,000 miles looks just as good.

Engine. Transmission. Handling. Fit and finish.

Umm... 500 horsepower like the new M3? Ha!

Buying this car was my greatest decision
By beamer_is_love

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so much fun; the tight steering, the way the car responds to the gas pedal, the braking system, and the safety. Everything about this car is great, although I recently had a problem with the rear window. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a luxury interior and a sporty exterior especially with my aftermarket m3 tires and rims. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is out to buy one, although there are some problems that can be fixed.

Comfortable leather seats, heated steering wheel, roomy, fast/powerful engine, and just because its a BMW. Germans are by FAR the best auto engineers out there.

The cup holders are a total joke. I spilled coffee all over the floor while making a turn, they fall apart. The dashboard contol buttons fall off every once in a while, the stereo and speakers need improvement as well. My oil pan leaked when I first bought the car, since it it aluminum.

540i 6-speed
By pdxzen

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The 540i is a fine & fun car. The acceleration is better then most cars on the road with the HP and good torque. Mine is black, w/ black leather interior, and chrome 18in Hamann deep dish rims, w/ 40 series tires, lowered about 1.5 inches, w/ angel eyes conversion, cone air intake, & custom exhaust. It looks pretty good for a 10 year old car. It handles well in corners, but you can tell that it is a little bit nose heavy due to the V-8 in the front as you can break the rear loose when coming around a corner.

Acceleration, exterior style,dual-zone temp control, brakes work really well.

Gas mileage, cup holders break all the time (just glue then shut with some black foam & don't use them if it breaks), sunroof motor won't tilt roof, door handles will break as they are made of hard plastic, engine valve gaskets will need to be redone, pixels underneath speedo will burn out.