Used 1998 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Who'd consider this an economy car - ME!
By me

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Best trip mileage ever 39.49, with return mileage on same trip 38.86 - I PROMISE THIS IS THE TRUTH!! Worst gas mileage ever - 23.0 ONE time, first year of ownership ONLY. Past winter avg commute/errand mileage 27. Current summer avg commute/errand mileage 29.5! I consider myself an "extra- miler", NOT a "hyper-miler". With that standard vacuum (gas mileage) gauge and using the trip computer, I have steadily improved my gas mileage even as my odometer reads over 150,000! Drives so elegantly when taking it easy, but accelerates and tracks so securely whenever desired. Drives like brand new, not like an 11+ year old car, because I ALWAYS drive her with respect!

The surprising gas mileage, performance, handling, comfort, and such a joy to pilot! A/C handles up to 100 degrees - and has NEVER been recharged in my 7 ownership years! I always wanted a BMW straight six. The engine's so smooth if not concentrating on mileage, sometimes forget to shift.

An excellent veichle
By alex lopez

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have a 1998 BMW 528i . A reliable and safe car. I've only had it for a year and the only thing that went bad on me were the brakes, but overall it's an excellent vehicle and I strongly recommend one as a first car. The parts are expensive but I think it's worth it. The fuel is not so bad on it unless you floor it all the time, otherwise it's fuel economy.

I'll Drive It Another 10 Years
By jkhuddy

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Rock solid at 150K miles. Replaced all cooling components (pump, radiator, thermostat & housing, belts) as a precaution at 140K. Just replaced the struts (they didn't owe me a thing.) Great gas mileage (30+ on highway); having a manual tranny helps. Looks good, handles great, safe and comfortable. Best six cylinder on the market. Bullet-proof drive train. Mine is Canyon Red, which looks great on this car.

Engine/drive train and suspension. Handling. Fuel efficiency. Structural integrity. Reliability. Easy to work on (really!) Parts aren't too bad if you know where to shop.

Cupholders? The Germans didn't want us to have them anyway. Drive the car and have your coffee at the diner. Less plastic in critical cooling system components.

Buying this car was my greatest decision
By beamer_is_love

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so much fun; the tight steering, the way the car responds to the gas pedal, the braking system, and the safety. Everything about this car is great, although I recently had a problem with the rear window. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a luxury interior and a sporty exterior especially with my aftermarket m3 tires and rims. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is out to buy one, although there are some problems that can be fixed.

Comfortable leather seats, heated steering wheel, roomy, fast/powerful engine, and just because its a BMW. Germans are by FAR the best auto engineers out there.

The cup holders are a total joke. I spilled coffee all over the floor while making a turn, they fall apart. The dashboard contol buttons fall off every once in a while, the stereo and speakers need improvement as well. My oil pan leaked when I first bought the car, since it it aluminum.

Beautiful and classy, but temperamental
By Zack

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is a car that is rewarding to drive and own, but it won't be cheap. My sport package 5-speed 2.8 I6 is a beautiful, well-handling, sporty and overall solid machine. I love it, but when something breaks, it is expensive to fix. Very expensive. Potential owners: be wary of the cooling system around 90k+ miles. Replace it before it goes. It will go bad and that's bad times.

Interior design and quality. Absolutely no squeaks, rattles, or anything after 100,000+ miles. THE classiest interior on the road in my opinion. The I6 is smooth and powerful, and the tech features are plentiful.

Better cooling system. Fewer plastic parts where metal parts should be used. Less complicated OBC. Fewer triggers for Check Engine Light.