Used 1997 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Investment
By justducky150

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Great investment... if a used car could be such a thing. This 540i has been stellar in reliability and performance. I bought with 29,000 miles and it started service on the road in August 1996. 80,000 miles later and the car still is turning heads and has tremendous thrust. Parts that had to be purchased: water pump, windshield wiper motor, AC compressor (covered under warranty). Other than that, it has been almost flawless. I started driving it in brutal Western Pennsylvania winters 2 years ago, favoring its reknowned safety cage, and have never had a problem with sliding/skidding. The car is perfectly balanced. Above average cost of investment for excellent long term return.

6 speed clutch manual, I don't believe in automatics. Rear wheel drive, car is pushed instead of pulled. Tight turning radius. 8 cylinders of spine tingling thrust.

Typical of BMW 540s in 1997 model year, dash display pixels failing.

Executive Experss
By BrianB

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've had the bimmer for a couple of years now, and it still thrills in the curves, coddles on the highway, and being all black, with tinted windows, with the 17" sport wheels, still turns heads. I perfer the looks of this 5 to the new one, but given that the 3 series started to look very much like the 5 it does make it look like you see it all over the place. Engine reliability has been good, but I've been let down by the little, but expensive things... $400 rear window motor and attachments... Air pump, niggly electrical issues, battery, and ball joints that wearout too quickly for a high end car. But, overall, I buy another one in a minute! And that's the best review anyone can give a car.

Handling, acceleration (I have the five speed), looks, interior comfort (heated seats and steering wheel in Clevelands winter a real plus!), room (two adults and three kids fit well). I will look for a 2001 or so M5 for my next car. I would like the same again just with more power!

Higher quality electrical components, more durable suspension linkage/joints, electronic compas (my X5 has it, and I miss it in my 5 sedan), A BETTER RADIO! FM reception is weak, and AM is terrible... CD Changer works great though, and the 10 speakers sound fantastic. A maintenance free battery!

Excellent car
By Exelent car

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I drive my 2000 BMW 528ia from Los Angeles to Cancun 3 times a year, plus must of my driving is on Mexican highways. The car never breaks down,and is super stable. Averages speeds of 85 to 100 mph on this roads. Few little things are bad in car like condensation in the headlights and wind noise from the windshield, other than that it's a rocket. I had to replace the rear window motors.

Cup holders stinks.

Well Maintained, Used the way to go!
By mjack85

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Looks that stand the test of time. Great handling, this car is unbelievable for an 8 year old car. Bought it with 90k with all service records. Previous owner kept meticulous care and seems to have repaired and replaced most trouble spots prior to trading it. I cannot find anything wrong with this car and love driving it.

Highway driving is fantastic, quiet, smooth, comfortable and amazing power at highway speeds for lane changing and passing. Car is really engineered for maximum power and efficiency at highway speeds. It's all about power delivery and this one has it.

Cost of repairs and maintanence reputation hurts an other wise great car.

look out open road
By bigb

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought it recently and car was well cared for. What a car-like going on vacation every time behind the wheel- just pure pleasure. I know it will eventually cost me but who cares-you can't take it with you. If you have the desire-try one used and you will see what I mean.

world class speed and handling

less complicated stereo and heating/ac