Used 1997 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Love the car but my wallet doesn't!!
By Al

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

My second bmw. I had a 325i before and loved it. Decided to get the 528i later. Car is great. Love all the features and the DRIVE!

Heated steering wheel, AM/FM control on steering wheel, heated seats, sun roof, Nice grip on the road! Love all the girls that stare!!

Lower the price on the parts!!!

Great Sedan
By petepeter

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 528i new & have driven 84000 miles. Great road & @town performance. Just had a wreck, a total loss. Doors still open and no injuries. I was in control to swerve & miss a head-on collision & was hit on the driver's door and to the rear. Great safety for its age. Can't find a comparable to replace it.

Great road feel, always feel you're in control. Quiet, comfortable for 4.

Problems with electrical system; impossible to find power drain that frequently gave me a dead battery. Dealer could not help. Terrible cup holders. Replaced tie rod @82,000 miles.

One Great Used Car!
By 78280z

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on eBay with 82k miles. I have changed belts, spark plugs, oils. At 100k I changed the valve cover gasket (piece of cake) at 105k I had the tie rods change. I have done some little things to keep it looking and operating like new. The car is easy for the "DIY" to work on. This is the finest car I have driven. I'm a car salesman and this is not the brand I sell. It will be the brand I drive from now on. A Car To Be Proud Of!!

Driveabilty, looks and comfort. Always a blast to drive.

Better cup holders. Better Highs in the stereo.

Executive Experss
By BrianB

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've had the bimmer for a couple of years now, and it still thrills in the curves, coddles on the highway, and being all black, with tinted windows, with the 17" sport wheels, still turns heads. I perfer the looks of this 5 to the new one, but given that the 3 series started to look very much like the 5 it does make it look like you see it all over the place. Engine reliability has been good, but I've been let down by the little, but expensive things... $400 rear window motor and attachments... Air pump, niggly electrical issues, battery, and ball joints that wearout too quickly for a high end car. But, overall, I buy another one in a minute! And that's the best review anyone can give a car.

Handling, acceleration (I have the five speed), looks, interior comfort (heated seats and steering wheel in Clevelands winter a real plus!), room (two adults and three kids fit well). I will look for a 2001 or so M5 for my next car. I would like the same again just with more power!

Higher quality electrical components, more durable suspension linkage/joints, electronic compas (my X5 has it, and I miss it in my 5 sedan), A BETTER RADIO! FM reception is weak, and AM is terrible... CD Changer works great though, and the 10 speakers sound fantastic. A maintenance free battery!

Excellent car
By Exelent car

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I drive my 2000 BMW 528ia from Los Angeles to Cancun 3 times a year, plus must of my driving is on Mexican highways. The car never breaks down,and is super stable. Averages speeds of 85 to 100 mph on this roads. Few little things are bad in car like condensation in the headlights and wind noise from the windshield, other than that it's a rocket. I had to replace the rear window motors.

Cup holders stinks.