Used 2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Best car I've ever owned
By James Owen

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Great acceleration, firm ride, hugs corners, excellent sound system and entertainment controls. A little tight to get in and out of (and I'm 5'10", so much taller would be really tight).

Perfect for a businessman
By P Arrington

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 320i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Sedan is designed to place everything you need close to you. Car sits lower to the ground. The turbo makes acceleration exilerating. They is no storage, no cup holders, a minute space in the glove box and arm rest.

The car they warned you about. They were WRONG!
By Allen Mayberry

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Well, first things first, I pretty much had a good idea what I was getting involved in when I decided on a BMW. I've worked on a few different models in the past, including an engine rebuild and cooling system replacement. I've heard all the horror stories, and read most of these very reviews on Edmunds. There were some doubts placed in my mind for certain! But I ultimately decided to take a small leap.

I managed to find a gently used metallic bronze CPO '13 328i XDrive in immaculate shape from a dealer that gave me more for my Crosstrek than anyone else in the area. So far, the car has been perfect; not one single issue. Except for one small scuff on the soft leather seat...my fault but covered under warranty. Runs great, great mileage, unbelievable handling, fast enough, attention getter...to me it just seems like a good daily driver. Though it is under warranty and I went ahead and purchased the extended warranty, I've already acquired all the tools and knowledge I need to repair nearly everything. I only wish it had a manual transmission. Not a deal breaker, though.

The insurance cost surprisingly is what drove me to this car (pun intended). 2016 Mustang 5.0? 600 bucks more a year. 2016 Subaru WRX? 615 bucks more a year. 2013 328i? 12 bucks more a month than my friggin Crosstrek! I'm only angry I didn't buy a BMW sooner.

Fuel mileage has been stellar. I had to drive from Virginia to New Jersey, about 300 miles or so, for work. Averaged 35mpg's and over 75mph.

In my opinion, if you are the kind of person who can work on their own vehicles, the maintenance costs aren't much more than a Subaru or Toyota. If you're the kind of person that expects a car to go 100k miles with nothing but oil changes...better stick with Toyota.

Performance? Coming from a Crosstrek, it feels like a rocket. Feels just a bit slower than my old Mustang, but MUCH more composed and smooth in the corners. Need more speed? 335i or M.

Comfort? The seats are fantastic! I drove the Crosstrek to Miami from Virginia...once. I was in a lot of pain. Driving the BMW? I was ready to party in South Beach when I arrived.

I will say I personally don't trust a 10k mike interval between services, so I change my oil in between. They're not hard to work on yourself...unlike Audi's.

love it
By Shana Andries

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Extremely costly once your warranty expires!!!
By Danny Carrillo

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First, please know this is not a gripe review. This is just factual. I absolutely love everything about this car except its reliability. These are the problems I've had with it:
* 23,000 miles: Steering column rubbing/squeaking noise. This occurred during the warranty period and was taking care of.
* 51,700 miles: Turbo actuator fails. Costs me $750 at the dealer since I was out of warranty. I called corporate seeking assistance. They declined to cover even though it was just out of warranty, they have a hard line, so they declined to help.
* 52, 900 miles: The steering noise is back - dealer will not cover it. This is just a nuisance, so I declined repair.
* 54,300 miles: Engine begins smoking during routine city driving. Valve cover gasket $902.79 + Oil filter housing gasket $656.99 for a total of $1,576.40 with tax.

This is a very fun car while it's new, but just know that the glamour dies out quickly. Honestly, I regret not buying another reliable Honda/Acura. I still own my 2001 TL which now has over 417,000 miles on it!