Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

good car
By k john

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

no complaints

Five years and still going
By Casper

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this when I was five years younger and it still is a good car. A couple of repairs all under warranty, nothing major. My roof is 99% water proof, only once or twice a few drops of water noted. I use Hoffman car wash, they do not recommend power wash i.e. the brushless type. Back seat is useable for kids and the occasional adult, need to push the front seats forward for the adults. Fueling, use the newer slim pumps, or you will stand there a long time to fuel to max because the auto shut off kicks in frequently. Still get lots of looks when the top is down!

It died on me
By Martijn

2011 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I loved my 2011 335i x-drive from the moment I saw it; black out side, red inside, manual transmission, fun to drive up the canyon to my house. Bought is at 60k 10 months ago. Until two weeks ago; ticking noise in the morning, car died in the afternoon. Towed to BMW rap; new engine needed, will cost 25k. Hoping it can be re-built, but this is about the same cost I owe on it, so I can't even get rid of the car. BMWs are fun and beautiful when they work, but the maintenance is a serious risk to your solvency, or at least to mine.

Bent rod, needs a new engine
By Dominic Moruzzi

2011 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've been a member of the BMWCCA for more than ten years now. This is my 7th three series. M package, rear wheel drive manual 6speed, Power Kit so 320 HP.

Noticed and felt engine noise since 68k miles. thought it might be the flywheel and clutch. Replaced at $3,000. Not the issue

Dealership did a compression test, said it needs a new engine. $18,000! BMW will cover 50% because it's out of warranty. I provided all oil change docs. BMW wanted to see oil changes at least every 15k. I averaged every 7,500 miles. Never auto crossed or tracked. Commuter car, 42 year old father of four. Not laying down patches or beating on the car.

My take, don't buy a turbo model. Too much stress on the engine components. Never own one of these out of warranty, you're asking for trouble. Fuel pump was replaced under warranty (common issue), water pump was on my dime. Hardly reliable, worst car I've ever owned. Beast on the highway? at 4.3 0-60 yes. Sad to say it, I'm a Bimmer guy through and through but that's it for me. BMW corporate said they wouldn't make a repair coverage decision until they knew for sure what the problem was. I wanted the dealership to drop the oil pan to definitively diagnose the issue so I could tell BMW NA what was wrong. After the compression test all of a sudden the dealership clammed up like it was a cover up? The dealership would not go any further. They told the manufacturer that it needed a new engine without ever dropping the oil pan and taking a peek. Didn't make sense. I still want to have an independent garage take a look so maybe I can get some video or pics and post them.

Forget about BMW customer service. I got someone on the line outsourced from India. If you must buy a BMW again never own one out of warranty! Unless your buying a fixer upper for a couple of grand.

I traded it in on a new Silverado burying the negative equity of the Bimmer into the truck payment. Tough pill to swollow

Good luck!

Not all 3-series are the same. 335i is king
By TX yup

2011 BMW 3 Series 335i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The 3-series varies immensely according to which model you get and extras you purchase. I have a 335i xdrive with sports package that includes sports bucket seats, steptronic shifting paddles on the steering wheel, thicker steering wheel, tightened suspension. Other features are garage door opener, shadowline, sunroof, drop down rear seats, xenon head lights.
First impressions from styling is always up to to driver but I feel the clean look has a mature look to it. It has the a classy look with a monster of an engine that you would never know by the look.
Interior the car has clean lines with quality materials. The wood accent is nice. The feel of the dash is good and gives of no glare which is great for driving. The layout of the cluster does take a little to get use to. The radio is sometimes confused for the heat and Ac. The directionals get a little to get use to as well as the cruise. Radio is good quality not great but the interaction with my cell phone works well.
Comfort is bar none to any other. The sports seat hug you, in turns and are very comfortable on long drives. Like every car today you get a hundred different positions you can choose. The sports steering wheel is fat and so easy to hold. When sitting in the drivers seat you feel very comfortable. Rear seats are ample for two adults, tight with three. I run with two car seats and plenty of room. The trunk is deceivingly large but I suggest the pull down rear seats for runs to the hardware store. Very happy with the space in such a tight sports sedan.
Engine and handling, there's a reason they say it's the ultimate driving experience. The inline six is smooth and powerful. It's smooth with the six gear transmission when you are driving other and want to take it easy. If you want to get on it, it has enough power to scare you and break a few laws. When in sports mode the gears are held a little longer and you can control shifting with the paddle shifters. I seldomly use the shifters while in sports mode but while on the highway in regular mode I will shift down to pass or change lanes. Once you get off the gas the car automatically shifts back into a higher gear. As far as handling the car is smooth on highways a little bumpy in the city due to the tightened suspension but if you get it into the mountains it is solid at high speeds around the corners. At times you'll surprise yourself how fast you take the corners with while feeling in total control.
Reliability is a crap shoot, I've heard horror stories but the service by BMW is excellent. I drive an hour to Austin just to use them because they are worth the drive. Luckily I've had nothing but a few misfires.

The car is 5 years old and turns heads were ever I go. It's tight, fast and comfortable. Every time I get into my car I smile and every time I get out I smile.
My past cars have been Jeep Wrangler, VW golf, Nissan 300z, Hyndai Santa Fe, Infiniti FX35, Infiniti G35, BMW 328i and Acura MDX this is by far the best car I've ever owned maybe the best I've driven next to a Porsche 911. It's also 60k less than the Porsche and can fit my girls in the back.

My wife feels like the car is too powerful and she doesn't feel comfortable driving it. She prefers the 328i which is more tame and is peppy if you want it. With the 335i the power is always there so you need to be aware when driving.