Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

335d a keeper
By Dave FL

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We bought (custom ordered our 335d from the factory) in June 2011 (delivered August 2011). Had early problem with the Urea delivery pump within 1st 15k mi (fixed under warranty). At about 40k miles had problem with electronic control center (located behind dash) had replaced under warranty. We are on our 3rd set of tires - opted for Sport suspension (which adds high speed stability, big rears (lower profile - hence stiffer ride front and back)). Our BMW certified mechanic says our original brakes should be good for another 15k to 25k miles. The car is a rocket ship. We average close to 29mpg combined. Driving to Orlando (Disney) from Palm Beach Gardens and back on 1 tank of diesel. We usually drive in the fast/fast lane and get well over 30mpg on longer trips. We would buy this car again except you cannot get a 3.0 L diesel in a 3 series anymore - only in a 5 series. We it maxed with options (adaptive cruise, look around the corner headlight, nav, backup sensors, sun shades, interior light pkg, high end audio ... sticker was close to 60k). This car will become a collectors item. (previous cars we've bought include: 89 M3 (collector car), 02 WRX, 02 Passat). It doesn't dance like the M3 - but it will leave it in the dust.

3.0 Diesel Disaster cy
By No BMW for me anymore

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Never, EVER buy a 3.0 6 cylinder diesel BMW. Fortunately, I purchased the 5-year, 100K factory extended warranty for my 2011 BMW 335d, and boy-of-boy did I ever have to use it -- A LOT! This diesel engine is absolute crap. Had every fuel injector replaced at least once (a couple 2x) before hitting 45,000 miles. The car was out of service so often that I got to drive a number of other BMW products from dealer, most of which were no where near as nice or had performance as good as my other vehicles (Jaguar XK, Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4, Jeep GC Overland 4x4 diesel). I bought the 6 cylinder BMW diesel based on a recommendation from a friend, in England ("John"), who told me that loved his (at the time). However, several months after I bought my diesel, John told me that his 6 cylinder BMW diesel engine had blown up (literally!) while traveling about 50 milers from his home, and this just a few days after it had been "serviced" by the local BMW dealer. His vehicle had just gone off warranty, and neither BMW nor the dealer would givr him any compensation or other assistance for the defective engine. Again, STEER CLEAR of any BMW 6 cylinder diesel engine -- they are "junk".

Great ride but too much maintenance
By trinitylzh

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 328i drives beautifully - tight steering and hugs the road. Requires too much maintenance. Buy with a BMW maintenance and warranty plan or have a spare car and extra funds for repairs.

At 140K miles
By Alprazo

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Run flat tires and the carbon build up in the exhaust manifold and diesel particulate filter and a front wheel bearing are the only problems thus far. The torque that the engine puts out keeps the car feeling fun. No electrical or other problems with the car. The exhaust manifold was replace under warranty at 80k. I am about to pull out and have the diesel particular filter cooked at 140k. The right front wheel bearing was replaced at 140k. The car has held such little value though and I am told that it values between 6-7k. It was purchased used in 2013 with 34 thousand miles.

Fun car, poor reliability and even worse service
By Aaron

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned two BMW 3 series cars in the last 10 years. They are fun to drive and reasonably practical. However they are riddled with stupid problems and my experience with their dealers for warranty service has been overall terrible. Every issue I have to bring the car in multiple times and usually I get it back with further problems caused by the repairs. If you are expecting "luxury car" levels of service with you BMW you will be disappointed.