Used 2009 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Truly a driver's car
By adityab

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After much deliberation, I took delivery of a gently used 2009 BMW 328i a couple of days ago.
Like many BMW owners, I bought it for its driving dynamics.
The reviews from every publication are glowing, and there's good reason.
You get the feeling that every single tactile element in the car has been calibrated for your enjoyment.
The driving position, the seats, the contours of the steering wheel, the linear and predictable responses, the hefty brakes, and the buttery smooth engine all make for an inimitable driving experience.
If you're in the market for a visceral ride but need to be practical, look no further.
I've driven an S2000 and an Aston Martin and the 328 still feels magical.

The chassis is unflappable (the car makes you feel like a much better driver than you are), the interior is built beautifully, the base stereo is excellent, the bi-xenons can burn trees to the ground, and the sport package's seats/steering wheel/suspension are well designed.

Replace the run-flats with conventional tires and a spare - they're too expensive to replace, and the road hazard program is pricey. Also, you need a proprietary BMW cable to run your IPod. Please design this system to work with the standard cable supplied with the mp3 player.

VROOM!
By DieselNorthernNJ

2009 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I'm a car junkie. Been through 4 cars in the past 3 years. 07 328xi, 09 328i manual (CPO), 09 G37x (the 328i manual annoyed me - radio was whacked out without a fix supposedly, so tried Japanese) and now 09 CPO 335d. I missed the engineering of a BMW and when I saw this 335d CPO, I had to try it. The itch hit me after the test drive and I bought it. The car is incredible. Power and efficiency amazing. Low end torque so fun, but it's even better to go 60 mph and then floor it. Gets to 100 mph in a snap. Hitting the turns and winding roads feels so much better in this car than the G37X. Getting about 32 mpg in mixed driving. The engine growl - a muscle car in disguise!

Power availability, navigation, efficiency, BMW "feel" (I hope they don't ruin it with next 3 redesign like they did with the 2011 5 - steering feels terrible in the 5). 2 years left on maintenance and service plan. Standard radio's not bad actually.

My 3rd 3 series - dumb cupholders. Storage is limited somewhat, but car isn't meant to be a junk hauler. Hoping the fuel pump issues with the 335i don't come into play with the 335d. I read the 335d has a different pump and system. Small rattles once in a while, but performance reigns!

335D when can I drive it again
By erick335

2009 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My wife and I purchased a fully loaded used 335d. We have almost every option but most importantly we have the sport suspension. The car is amazing in every aspect. We are coming out of a 2006 Is350. The Is350 was a little faster but not nearly as fun to drive. We have gotten 38-39mpg on the hwy @75-80 mph. The car is problem free unlike the 335i. I know the 335i is faster but for $300 dollars you can chip the 335d. The best part of the experience is seeing other driver faces, as your putting diesel in the car.

The quiet torque monster under the hood. Upgraded sound system (logic 7). Sport suspension

none

Nav
By jack

2009 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I drove from CA to OR last month. After a 4 hrs drive, I stopped and refueled. and the nav just kept restarting itself again and again, the idrive was unable to function. luckily i got some paper maps or else. Other than that, it was fun to drive..

fun to drive, exterior design and handling

noise, especially the sound system, and make sure the nav is reliable

Steering wheel vibrations
By bmax-car

2009 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My previous car was 2008 Mercedes c- class c300, nice car and it was problems free had better sound/radio system, sunroof and rain sensing wipers feature was better vs BMW's, my 2009 BMW 328i drives better than MB c- class, but it has this annoying steering vibrations that can be felt every time while parking the car and sometimes when changing lanes, brought it a few times to different BMW service centers, and, every time they were able to duplicate this vibrations, but they said it was considered normal operation for BMW, none of my previous cars had that. So, go figure. Ultimate driving machine. With vibrating steering wheel. What a shame

engine, automatic transmission, chassis