Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The best car I have ever owned
By dave346

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. The handling is better than any car I have ever driven. Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Powerful smooth engine. Fun and safe car. I understand why this is the benchmark.

Handling, smooth power, gas mileage, the tight steering wheel feel.

Better cup holders.

Fun to drive when not in shop
By soccerprnt

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Loved it when new.
After 45000 miles I wish I had never heard of BMW.

This car is continually having issues.
It started with the antilock brake light coming on intermittently, about once a month.
It was at the dealers at least 4 times for this before the problem was finally fixed.
Similar problem with engine light coming
3 visits to fix this. Recently my clock has been clearing the time. Engine now stalling out occasionally while I am driving the car.
Happens after driving from a few hundred feet to about a mile after I have begun driving it.
Extremely dangerous.

Diagnosed bad battery .
Not covered under warrenty. They also did a programming update on the engine.

Handles great. Fun car to drive

Needs to have a better charging system. My battery died in 3 years and it is not covered under maintenance and warranty because this car is not driven once a day at least 10 highway miles in one trip. Never mind that I drive about 4 miles to work every day and take a 80 mile (both ways) trip once a week with it (44,000 miles over 3 years). Tires need to last longer than 12,000 miles. The reliability in general needs considerable work. I know that this car would be higher maintenance than my old Honda, however, I never expected the reliability to be so bad. The above does not include anywhere near all of the issues I have had with this car.

Officially a BMW loyalist
By BTTampa

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Never understood the BMW fans out there until I got mine. I used to trade in my car every couple years, I've had this one for 3 years and still get excited to go out and drive it. It just rides and drives different than any car I have had before. You really feel like you "know" this car, and it "knows" you. The handling is incredible, fuel economy is very good on the highway, and it still gets stares from others. As with many German cars, its had a few electrical glitches, but the warranty covers everything and its been a couple minor inconveniences more than anything else. And to include all routine service for free for 4 years?? You more than get your money's worth with this car!

The handling, acceleration, exterior style, the halo lights around the headlights, sound system (stock is perfect))

get those cup holders off the dash and back down in the center console. Make the ipod interface a little easier to navigate. Why isn't leather standard in a $35k+ car?

Wanted to Love It
By Automan

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Wanted to love it. Took me a long time to finally settle on this car, should have gone with the G35x. Two fuel pumps replaced. Very expensive tires that seem to attract nails like magnets, and boy do they ride harshly. Dealer costs very high on parts and service. Small and cramped inside (I'm 6'2"). Love the handling and power. Very precise and tossable. Fun, even in the rain w/AWD. In the end, sold it after only a year and a month because I couldn't take it anymore. Lost $9k between repairs and sale of car. Even warned the guy that bought it off me that it was costly to own. Just to be fair, the car had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it and I sold it with 57,000.

Power and handling.

Reliability, interior needs to be a little bigger. And get rid of super- expensive run flat tires.

The Benchmark: Best Car I've Ever Owned
By ctt335i

2008 BMW 3 Series Sedan 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you enjoy driving and see it as more than just getting from A to B but still want everyday usability and pay less than $50K, this is hands down the best car you'll ever own. Its power delivery is absolutely sublime and there's so much of it. This car does so many things well. It handles like it's on rails, balances ride quality with road feel, and delivers so much fun while doing it. I shopped several competitors including the IS350, G37, S4, and C350. Each of these cars had their high points but I always came back to the soul-stirring 335i. The run-flat tires are definitely the weakest point, offering great grip and reasonable tread-life, but somewhat unforgiving on rough surfaces

Effortless power and tremendous low-end grunt. Balance balance balance in everything it does.

I love the safety, weight reduction and handling performance of the run-flat tires, but wow they are stiff. The suspension rides a fine line between needed road-feel and harshness because of the rock-hard sidewalls. I'm anxiously awaiting the 3rd generation run-flat tires from Bridgestone as repl.