Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Dream Car
By tinbmore

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned my 335xi for almost 2 years. (6 speed manual, platinum bronze metallic, cw package, adaptivelights) It has 44K miles and my total maintenance cost has been an oil changes, a set of tires and a set of spark plugs (turbo needs them replaced at 45K mi). Agree with other posters, this just a downright FAST car. High speed merge, no problem, pop it down into 3rd and "engage".

Nav is greatly superior to japanese designs. ipod control is sweet. AWD has never sliped in icy conditions, 8 way seats with lumbar and heat can't be beat. Auto windows down feature is great for people like me who prefer open windows and sunroof to A/C. Saw other poster comlain about trunk space, I carry a golf pull cart, golf bag, storage box, two pairs of golf shoes and more and have no problems. Fold down rear seats are cool too.

Still don't know how to save radio stations. Minimal interior storage areas (I even replaced the ash tray with available sunglass storage tray) Pet peeves:Voice recongnition cue takes too long after it asks you a question, I'm constantly talking to it before it is listening. And here a real nit pick: The doors make really tinny sound when you shut them. My E46 had a more luxurious "thunk" sound.

What exactly is German Engineering?
By thr33wayclimax

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought this car in November 2010 with 50k miles as a CPO. Water pumps are electric and go out every 50k miles or so, covered under cpo. Injectors on this car are notorious for failing, had 3 fail on my car also covered under cpo. Finally the condensor was leaking also replaced under warranty.

I sold the car recently for a good price as it still had one year left on the maintenance and warranty. But the new owner reported serpentine belt failure. This is due to a bad subfram design and driver side engine mount which allows the belt to hit the subframe, over time the belt will shear and WILL FAIL. BMW has a "New" subframe but will not cover costs to fix their mistake. Idiots.

Its fast! Smooth engine, no turbo lag, tramisison shifts beautifully. Steering feel and response, no rattles, decent fuel MPG considering weight and power of the car. Relatively little roadnoise, minor windnoise at speed.

RELIABILITY. Seriously what do these Germans do when they test the prototypes of these cars? do they not drive them for 100-200k miles as they should and note mechanical failures? Whats the point of having a car with great driving dynamics that you can't drive if it breaks down.

BW328i Great Car But Repairs are Expensive!
By billsfan8

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven a 2008 BW328i for a year and a half now.
It's fun to drive with precise handling, quick braking, and very good acceleration.
The interior is nice with leather seats but some trim parts aren't great. The retractable cupholders are prone to breaking and expensive to replace.
Brake dust is excessive too with the stock brakepads making the wheels always dusty. I enjoy the car very much as it is well designed with high quality components for the most part.
I would warn any Raleigh, North Carolina prospective BMW buyers to avoid Leith BMW due to dishonest sales and service practices.

Handling, Quality, Acceleration

Premium Fuel, Cupholders, Brake Dust, Poor Local Dealership Support

Best Car I've Owned
By sociopath

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a 2002 325i before I bought my 2008 328i sedan new four years ago.
The OEM Bridgestone run-flats were even more awful than many folks are willing to say.
After my run-flats wore out at only 16K, I replaced them with a set of Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
After 10K, these tires are wearing very well and give me a soft, quiet, and great-handling ride.
The car has been incredibly reliable--simply outstanding since the beginning--and still puts a smile on my face when I drive it.
It has a sporty yet secure, comfottable ride and I get about 18 mpg in the city and almost 30 on the highway.

I like everything about this car. It's big enough, but not too big. It isn't a pocket rocket, but has more than enough power. I didn't get lots of extras: the sport package and the moon roof are enough for me. At first, I thought the leatherette might be a downside, but it has turned out to be fine. I think I like it more than leather. It came with wood trim, which looks phony, but I'm told it's the real deal.

Nothing is perfect, and I suppose I could nit-pick, and that's what it would be. At first, I hated the cup holders, but they work well and I like the fact that they can be concealed when not in use. The only real problem was those terrible OEM run-flats.

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!
By billr6

2008 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I own my black 328i for over 6 months now. Bought used with 32K miles. Incredible car, step on the gas and you are in heaven. Power is unreal, I only felt this way once in Infinity G35. I can't help myself when driving this car, often I push it over 100 Mph on hwy that has a speed limit of 60 or 70 Mph. At 100 Mph you hardly feel any shaking or noise.
Car is grounded and planted like it has roots to the highway. Passing is a breeze and exhilarating!!! And when you hear that engine growl - like a surge of nuclear energy is passing to the wheels. Steering and handling is top notch!! 100% German engineering. Love it!!! No sports luxury car matches this car. I tested them all. BMW rules!!

Speed, power, engine growl, looks fabulous!!! Interior is very tidy and smartly designed. Seats are very comfy to me! BMW changes oil, brakes, wipers etc for first 4 years!! I would buy this car again in a heart beat!!

Simplify electronics!! Too complex for me. I like simple controls, but all BMW controls are computer driven. Run flat tires are not the most comfy tires. I would prefer regular tires, but there is no spare. Run flats do handle well. They cost about 30% more than decent regular tires. Add electronic power seats to base versions.