Used 2008 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BMW 2008 328xi - got rid of it at 104k miles
By perk82

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

If you are under warranty or less than 75K miles, you are lucky otherwise get rid of it before parts start to fall of the car and it stops on you in the middle of a freeway at 75 miles per hour speed not once but thrice, each time for a different issue.
I would also quote here a dealership words on a expensive repair cost "Sir, what do you expect, your BMW has over 90K miles". I learnt my lesson that day.

The Ultimate Repair Machine
By S. Sutton

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't believe the advertising hype and signage at the dealerships about how "cheap" the cost of ownership is and "inexpensive" the repairs are. (My favorite is a placard outside the dealership that says "this landscaping costs more to maintain than your BMW!"). The stereotypes are true, these things are a money pit.

My 2008 335xi is a pleasure to drive, super fun, super comfortable, the perfect balance of power and luxury: The Ultimate Driving Machine (TM). Unfortunately, that comes at a severe cost in maintenance and repairs. Many of the parts used on these have very short life spans, and cost thousands to replace.

My vehicle has less than 60,000 miles and currently needs a $1200 waterpump. The warranty for 2008's was a 4y/48k, so this one is out of pocket for me. I've had vehicles that go three times as long without needing a water pump, let alone such an expensive one. If you assume the waterpump will only last another 55,000 miles that's $2400 in waterpumps just to make it to 100k miles! *whistle noise*

I'm 6 months away from having this paid off... I think I'm going to put her up for sale as soon as I have the title in hand and look for something more reliable.

Driver's and Mechanic's dream
By FLMike

2008 BMW 3 Series 335xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my 335xi AWD sedan as a CPO with 30K miles in 2011 as a "practical" commuter as too many miles on my 1995 Porsche 911S. Love the car but the maintenance costs are beginning to concern me. IMO the ONLY way to purchase / own a 335XI is under the CPO warranty program and sell it before the value curve falls off at 5 to 6 years. Maintenance thus far: Via recall: fuel pump, Under CPO: Both rear bearings, front transfer case, front bearing, all O2 sensors, idler pulley, main harness from battery to engine compartment. Maintenance not covered under CPO: rear window motor: $400 Now at 104K highway miles, maintenance out of my pocket: Electric water pump and thermostat ($1500). So I am estimating the cost to drive this driving machine approaching >$10k in 4 years. Ouch. Expected Maintenance in next 3 months: All fuel injectors: $1600, Rotors / pads $800. Turbos...? hope not.

Update 10/2016 118k miles. Original 8yr old battery showing signs of death. New BMW battery $210 self install plus $130 for bmw to reset the not-so-adaptive battery mgmt system.
Value cover gasket leak. Dealer wants 1100. Another self install of 4hrs and 40bucks...

2008 BMW 335i, Transmission died at 84k mi
By Lovely Day

2008 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This car was great! When I first bought it I loved it. It had 72k miles on it. I bought it from an Audi dealer (someone had traded it in). In less than 6 months I needed new brakes all around. The driver side headlight had also gone out. Around 3 months after that, the passenger side headlight went out. I purchased the car in April 2014 and by August 2015 at around 84k miles, I had to get a new transmission which thankfully was covered under an aftermarket warranty. So within not even a year and a half, and about 12k miles, the following repairs needed to be done: new transmission, all around brake pads, driver and passenger side headlights, brake fluid flush, oil leak, power steering fluid leak, and some kind of fuel sensor or something that I don't know what in the world the dealer was talking about.

Failed tensmission 54,000 miles
By ubla

2008 BMW 3 Series 328xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I trusted BMW to stand for quality. Who needs (7) year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty those are for compromised American brands or new Korean ones without a track record. O boy!
I was wrong to learn that BMW does not give a crap about quality and customers.
With a car just out of the 50,000 mile warranty failing the transmission is normal thing you are on your own.

So here is my case 2008 328xi with 54,000 miles stopped going in reverse. Call BMW north America and per advise took it to the dealer (BMW Bloomfield NJ). After 2 days of working with BMW Noth America engineers (by themselves they had no idea of what to do) and $465.99 they find the problem : (Manual Valve Rod In Transmission Broken) Repair cost $1,442.46. Raising hell at BMW North America (800) 831-1117 with an agent Shawn Reilly at extension 8538 I was offered half of the $1,442.46 as BMW good will but nothing on the diagnostic cost. This is unheard it is like me an Architect charging a client because I have to learn to do something.

shocks bottoming out and the horrid run flat tires. Then, the acorns dent the hood (they not dented the e46 or may wife’s C300 Mercedes) I am disgusted of this Brand.