Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 416 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun To Drive But Very Poor Reliability - Automotive Engineer
By tomkat2kid2

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am an Automotive / Commercial Vehicle Engineer.
I am also the original owner of a 2006 BMW 325i with 75K miles, and while I like the cars handling and styling, the quality and reliability of this vehicle has been extremely poor.
I have owned many different brands of vehicles, and this vehicle by far has had the most problems under warranty.
Luckily I purchased an extended warranty (which I had never done before) but it is due to expire in 5K miles.
See below for a list of issues with this vehicle over a 4 year period.
While the vehicle is fun to drive and has good styling, I would caution anyone considering this vehicle due to the risk of significant out of pocket repair costs.

Handling, followed by styling.

Here are a list of vehicle problems over the past 48 months: 1) Key Fob Electronic Module Failure (steering wheel with a line through it.. could not start vehicle). Replaced Module. 2) Transmission pan leaking transmission fluid. Replaced transmission pan. 3) Engine Valve cover gasket leaking. Replaced valve cover gasket. 4) SOS System Failure (SOS symbol with a line through it). Replaced module 5) Service Engine Light. Cooling thermostat failure. Replaced thermostat 6) Service Engine Light. Camshaft sensor failure. Replaced sensor 7) Service Engine Light. Emission solenoid failure. Replaced solenoid 8) Armrest peeling (replaced), shifter peeling (replaced)

Best car ive ever owned!!!
By 72coupe1

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

only had this car for a few days, but so far it is the best car i have ever owned. awesome combination of luxury, performance, and economy. everything about it has great build quality except for some of the interior-the paint on the plastic components wants to flake off very easily...i would expect more out of a German luxury sedan. other than that i would recommend this car above all else.

gas mileage, handling, steptronic transmission, power, comfort

better quality on interior plastic

You will not regret buying this car
By Chas

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Awesome car, I got the premium with the sport package or what not. I spent $45,000 cash - no finance. The car is great in all respects. Handling is unmatched in any car I've driven for the mid- century price point. I wish it was 300 HP but then I might have killed myself. The music system is the bomb. Car came with bluetooth and Ipod jack. Two power points. I got the all leather in gray. Still smells new after 42,000 miles.

Automatic or standard shift, visibility, So. Cal. freeway driving is fun

This car was so well researched they have hit everything you will need. 2006 was the last year they made a 330i. My girlfriend loved it and she looked good tucked in the racing seat.

Defective key
By ecs148

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2006 330xi with 24,000 miles. Paid about $400 for Comfort Access. Engine should start with push button with key in my pocket. Key stopped working. Clearly defective. Won’t work with key in dashboard slot or with new battery. Dealer wants new key for $480. No wear and tear involved. Customer relations won’t replace defective key at no charge. This is clearly technology gone mad.

BMW Owner Since 1995
By Michele

2006 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned 2 and leased 6 BMWs since 1995. I love them so much I purchased the 2006 so I didn't have to turn it in after the lease expired. While the car is almost the same quality as all previous ones the run flat tires have been replaced with go flats along with a membership in AAA. Bumps make the car feel as though something will fall off or the tire will explode with the run flats. The rubber paint on the driver side door handle is peeled off and embarrassing but the car rides like a dream and I feel safe driving it. My only regret is that I chose to buy this one and not my previous 3 series. Local driving results in only 17 mpg but highway an outstanding 33 mpg.

Handling, Ride Comfort, Reliability, Solid construction.

Go back to Go Flat Tires. Fix paint problem on driver side door.