Used 2006 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 449 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

The last of the true "ultimate driving machines"
By Mike K.

2006 BMW 3 Series 330Ci 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A solidly built car with excellent handling, thanks to steering that puts you in touch with the road, and a suspension that provides a nice compromise between comfort and cornering stability. An exceptionally smooth running engine provides good acceleration; controls that are intuitive and well laid out. A true driver's car for those willing to accept older BMWs' need for relatively frequent and high cost maintenance.

Very Solid Great Driving Car!
By Joel Thomas

2006 BMW 3 Series 330i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had it 3 1/2 years. 72k when i bought it, 107k now. One owner trade in at the same dealer it was bought new from. I had an issue with the steering column security lock(common) if your handy you can get in there and do some lubing n probably solve the problem. It happened within the first 30 days of ownership, so the dealer replaced it free of charge. gave me a 2013 328i loaner. I was a little disappointed in the new 328i at first, with the new body style, but it eventually grew on me. but my sports seats vs the standard seats, was a huge difference. Mine is also a 6sp manual, that with the sport seats really make a difference. The N52 engine also has a lifter issue(ticking in the top of the engine) doesn't really hurt anything n the only reason I had them replaced was b/c my extended warranty paid for it, otherwise I probably would have left it alone. the lifters will tick on the rare occasion , but a quick trip with the revs up a bit to pump up the lifters n its quiet as can be. Some people are just not really car people and sometimes are the blame for all the repair bills. I pretty much keep up the maintenance, mostly just keeping the fluids nice an clean. Mine still has the original spark plugs. I will change them soon n probably replace all the coil packs while I'm there. People complaining about coil packs, you can buy a whole set for like 175$ n they are easy to install. Water pumps can be a little pricey, but if you buy the parts online(same as dealer) you can save hundreds of dollars. I still have the original water pump n I've seen them go to well over 150k for some people. It's only a one time repair so it's not that big of a deal. If you take care of the car n don't beat it up, it will give you many years of great service n be a pleasure to drive. Many of these on the road now with well over 200k. Just don't go to the dealer every time you hear a little squeak b/c they will find something wrong guaranteed! If you suspect something, google it or ask some honest mechanics, most of the time it will be something minor or nothing at all. Also has some great bun warmers!! n yes the window switch is a little too far forward for some, but not a real issue for me. It's nice just touching the door handle and it unlocks n no need to insert the key, as long as its in the car somewhere, it will start. (convenience access option). N most of the cooling system parts other than the water pump are actually very reasonably priced. Check around b4 you buy anything from the dealer. I got my battery from walmart (made by the same people n looked identical except for the color. $119 at walmart n $300+ at the dealer. but always check b/c the dealer will surprise u sometimes. Great drivers car( not a drag car), but has a nice smooth engine that seems to pull forever and it's at home doing 100mph on the freeway on cruising a nice curvy back road. I luv it as much now as when i bought it. I can drive my dads honda accord(very good car), and when I get back in the 06 bmw 330i, I really appreciate the bmw. drive it responsibly and keep your fluids up and it will give you many years of service. Don't forget that automatic trans, find you someone that is competent and let them do a fluid n filter change, then maybe a drain n refill sometime soon after that and it will serve u well. Great Car!

Worse BMW I've ever owned
By Randy

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 BMW and was pretty pleased by all. 3 including this one was bought new. This model is horrible. Have to remove bumper to replace a headlight. Awkward to reach power window controls unless you have 5' arms. Electronics is a nightmare! Leaks water rear foot, and has never been in accident. Paint flaked off roof rails. Worse of all is the quality of the interior trim. It is made of WHITE cheap plastic that is painted interior color. Every time you scratch anything that is painted, Door panels, steering wheel etc., the cheap white plastic shows through. Should have been molded in SOLID color plastic. Also ALL 4 door handles have been sticking since 50,000 miles. Horrible craftsmanship and design. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHAEAP. Will never own another.

Luxurious, Sporty, Fun, Eye-catcher, Maintenance.
By Fahiem Ahmadi

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I own a silver 2006 BMW 325i Sedan 3.0L I6. I honestly can say that i absolutely love this car very deeply. It's way ahead of it's time, people always assume it's a newer model just by looking at it. I surprise everyone when i tell them it is a 2006. This car has a lot to offer, it has the luxury look both outside and inside. A lot of people try to dumb down the 325i model compared to other cars in it's class performance wise, but i honestly don't believe those people have owned or even been inside this car. For those of us who drive this car on a daily basis you can agree with me when I say this car holds it's own on the road with both top end and acceleration speeds. In the 2 years i've owned this car you can bet i've done some racing on the highways and I have beat some pretty fast cars from G35's, Acura TL's, Lexus IS, Mercedes C/E Class, Other BMW models. This car has some heat in it. Automatic 6 speed tiptronic.

Now by no means is this car an M3 or a GTR but when it comes to car's in it's class this is the best, if not one of the best. Handles the road extremely well, it has saved me from some sticky situations with it's handling ability and power steering. The overall design of the car is smooth, elegant and crisp with a driving on glass feel, you can literally be doing 100 mph and feel like the car is going 50. The stock audio system is very high quality both in sound and bass. Depending on what package you get, it comes with climate control, power seats, blue tooth, BMW assist, aux plug. MP3 CD, sun shade and added horsepower. The car is bilingual in it's text.

With that being said this car is just about 10 years old now and if your thinking of buying one just know that the initial purchase price is not the problem it is the cost of ownership. Meaning, you will put up some big money to keep this car maintained. I've had this car for 2 years and the initial cost of the car was 16k. Plus

-$550 on starter replacement and leak.
-$2700 - Water Pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator hose
-$543 - Head Gaskett
-$434 - Oil Filter housing gasket (2x)
-$540 - Belt Tensioner
-$1000 - Brake pad, sensors, rotors.
-$599 - Spark plugs 1-6 and Ignition coil 3

That is a total of $6366 and not to mention the $200+ a month for insurance .. Gas is decent on this considering the performance factor that comes with this car.
The car is fun and exciting to ride in but can be costly. To be honest with you, even though i have broke the bank a few times with this car I truly enjoy driving it and absolutely love this car. If you are single with no kids I would recommend buying this car.

Money Pit But Worth It
By Tony

2006 BMW 3 Series 325xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I Love my Bmw 325xi. It holds the road beautifully! This car looks amazing to be a 2006, I've had friends ride with me and think its brand new! Perfect car for a 16 years old first car! There is nothing wrong with the car except for the cost of ownership. My car has 150'000 thousand miles on it and I've put about 30'000 thousand on it already. I've but about $10'000 into it in repairs but i knew what I was getting into to. When my Parents bought it for a good price, the transfer case that drives the front wheels had gone out and it cost about $2800. Also I had to replace the oil pan and things which cost me $1'500. Both of the rear windows motor went out but that was not the cars fault, every time my friends get in and out of my car, they all feel the need to slam my door shut! I am getting an appraisal to see how much it will cost, but its not looking good. Now for the big problem, a few months ago an error code came up with the transmission! The automatic had locked itself in 3rd gear (says the dealer) there was nothing they could do they said but replace it with a brand new one, which would cost a JAW DROPPING $11'000. Needless to say I took it to my personal mechanic and he got it done with $5'400 cash. That is all the problems I've had with my car. While yes it is a money pit, it was worth every penny.