Used 2005 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 172 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

smell funny, BUT ITS NOT
By heatherenea93

2005 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2005 325i i got it for my birthday this past year of june 2010. So anyways when we got it like 2 months after we got it the air went out. Well the guy at the dealership something happened and Someone else bought it out or something idk. But when that happened we lost our warrently. well we thought heck its a bmw what could possibly go wrong. Well like 2 months later air went out got it Fixed $1,200. Today Got home and it started smelling on the inside. Looked smoke under the hood oh no. WRONG Open the hood no smoke The rain was falling behind the motor and sizzling. But the smell was only coming from inside. The raining hitting the hood made made it steamy.. Please HELP?

I love the speed. altought i do not race people or stomp it. It's my baby i try my hardest to take care of it. Also I love the handlen. I love everything about this car, looks, feel, etc. BUT the trouble im having I hate. I think they may have tried something new on those year models

Improvements- The inside interor by the from window, back window, and seat belts. everyone i know with that year model and earlier all have the same stuff as it. its just falling of or coming undone. Its way to thin. Everyonee i know has ripped there's off where its done came apart. But it looks trashy unless u have tented windows and ur car is black with the darker color.

perception is the name of the game
By nigthhawk779

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned it since new. It was maintained by the dealer of course until 50,000 which came quickly. The only two complaints that I have is that the skip plate is too fragile.
If it touches the curb it will come off and sometimes you drive over the parts before you know it is failing. ($700.00) each time. So you learn not to park near the curb.
A few times preminum gas was not available had to use 1/2 & 1/2. The back seat is hard to get any use out of.
THe seat belt sets too far behind you when you first egage it.
People (service personnel) are always surprised that it takes 8 guarts of oil.

memory seat and mirror settings. 100mph and you can tell unless you look at speedometer

Change the seat belt initial placement. Change the interlocking plates on the skid plate

Car great , reviewers bad
By dice6

2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have added a second BMW to my stable and this one was a gamble. 146k miles but it looks like it just left the showroom. How many cars can still handle like new after this kind of mileage?

Reviewers complaining about their car turning off or tires that need replacing or khigh cost of oem parts should get a clue.

Get a good mechanic. Buy tires when worn ( hey it's not unusual), check into replacement parts if genuine BMW or oem parts give you $ agita.

What about the guy that just figured out that a rear wheel drive sucks in snow??
Hey, ever heard of the all wheel drive xi model???

Lexus?

You want a cushy drive?
Get a bigger
car but don't try to compare these to Japanese cars

Ugh

Run Forrest Run! (Do NOT buy this car!)
By okhunter

2005 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All of the hype you hear about German engineering is pure unadulterated bugle oil.
I'd take any car built in the orient, including a Hyundai, before I'd ever own another BMW.
Parts literally fall off (outside mirrors, vent controls), the power top has malfunctioned on many occasions, this thing EATS tires, the water pump went out, the coolant reservoir cracked, brake life is a joke, brake dust is never-ending, the windows squeak, and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.
The dealership is the only one in town, and believe me they know it.
Not once have I ever taken it in for service that I didn't have to leave it overnight!
And all this for a sticker price over $50K!

Looks, handling.

Start over from the ground up, or just wave a white flag.

Love AND Reliability
By halohead

2005 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have had my 2005 325 convert for 4 years (bought it used), put 40k miles on it, and have treated it well. In return, it has been a joy to drive, beautiful to look at, and way more reliable than the Ford and Chevy I've owned--on a par with the stalwart Altima on which I put 100k miles. This is the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few. There are things I'd change (some of the interior fixtures could be better quality). But nothing beats hearing that growly engine and feeling the car drive like a part of myself.

Engine; interior comfort; solid construction; reliability.

Interior finishes are not highest quality; but not so that it ruins the vehicle!