Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 461 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Unreal control in snow and ice
By AaronWhite

2004 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2004 325xi for three years now and have enjoyed driving it every minute. I grew up with Mercedes and am used to German engineering, build quality, etc. However, I think the 3 series, particularly the XI (AWD) variants, are very tough to beat. This was confirmed over the weekend when I drove from DC to North Carolina and spent three days driving around in snow and ice in NC. I cannot explain how well the car handles in bad weather. It is truly unreal. When trying to slip and slide, the car takes over, cuts the gas, shifts the traction around to the various wheels and keeps the car in control. No complaints in 60k miles of driving it.

Handling, engine sound, absolutely perfect and smooth automatic shifting, acceleration

Cheap plastic center console looks terrible and does not age well (e.g., coating peels and scratches easily). Stock stereo is terrible!! Lots of speakers but many of them crackle and pop.

I bought a CPO
By HW

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought CPO and have had it for over 3 years. I got the mystic blue with light gray interior. What a nice combo. Have not had one single problem with it. I was concerned about the cloth top but it has been surprisingly easy to maintain. I also burn regular gas to save money and it runs just fine. I think this model is more attractive than the new models.

The brakes will stop this car on a dime. Just awesome. Also, the trunk, with the top down, will hold three sets of golf clubs (you have to take out the woods and lay them on top).

The one thing I do not like is the cost of dealer service. Its outrageous.

Love this car but reliability not great
By J. Brand

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

There are 3 things I love about this car: 1) Handling and performance, it's a dream to drive on freeways and windy roads. 2) Interior is simple and elegant - I prefer BMW interior of this model period vs the newer BMW design which is unnecessarily complex. 3) Seats are firm and very comfortable for long rides. I sat in the back seat of a friend's BMW 3-series of same year and the surprisingly comfortable ride in the back if you want a smaller car. It would be tight squeeze though for a guy over 6 ft tall but more room than Mercedes C-class in same price range.

Performance, handling, simple interior design, firm/comfortable seats.

Surprising lack of durability of certain items between 40-60K miles, both back door trim/molding fell off, A/C was fixed, cup holder trim peeling, tail light assembly corroded. Hassle factor & repair cost too high without warranty.

I'm Sold
By cho

2004 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought mine CPO; premium and sports package; black on black with 39,000 miles in 2007. I've always owned Japanese and my last car was a 1997 Integra GSR. But I needed a 4-door for the ease of carrying more than one passenger, so I bought this Bimmer even though I had trepidation about its reliability as I found this particular year and model to be the best looking 4-door sport sedan out there (even now in 2009 IMO). Two years into the ownership and I have not had any major issue. I recently lost my job; I don't miss my job but I missed not making the daily commute in my 325i. That's how much I love this car, how about that!

The exterior line especially the front (and it is true, the car is low to the ground and I've had to fix my front bumper cover twice because it got torn by the cement block in the parking spot as I backed out). The quietness inside even when you are going fast. The performance. The HK stereo.

They may have corrected this in the later models already but wish there was a single mechanism inside the car to control all four windows.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By PhantomX

2004 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my BMW 325Ci all of three weeks but I must say I am already smitten with it. This is the most fun automobile to drive I've ever experienced. It makes you want to just get in and drive around with no particular place to go. I've already done that a lot! It has torque at-the- ready all across the RPM band so never any lag when you need to move. The car feels more powerful than it is. It's handling is incredibly dynamic.

Automatic headlights, deep bucket seats, heavy steering feel, nice growl to the exhaust, very, very pretty to look at. I constantly look back over my shoulder at it.

Build quality could be better. Lots of technology to go wrong and is extremely expensive to fix.