Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 316 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun and practical
By Adam

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I moved from a Miata to this after the 2nd kid forced the need for a back seat. It's been a great car so far. Incredibly comfortable for interstate driving and commuting, but still fun enough to toss around without requiring insanely high speeds to enjoy it. Maintenance costs haven't been too bad when I've used shops other than the dealer.

Great balance of handling, acceleration, and comfort. Lots of fun without the downsides of a sports car. Smooth engine, comfortable and functional interior.

Clutch and manual shifter feel are pretty crummy compared to the Miata.

Amazing Car!
By Christa

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 330i for almost 4 years. I used to drive a Honda Accord and had several problems with it. I never looked twice at the BMW. The first time I drove it, I absolutely loved it! I wouldn't settle for the 325 - less horse power. I purchased the extended service warranty, which I think was a waste of money. I have the sports package and the front end had to be rebuilt at 62,000 miles. That was disappointing and expensive! It now has 72,000 miles on it. I am torn about what to do - keep it or get another car. I have also had to replace the driver's side window regulator, the tail light assembly, a valve cover gasket and hoses. Still love it - no other like it!

10 speaker stereo with 6 CD changer in trunk. The sound of the engine - the get up and go!

Window remotes on door instead of in the middle of the car.

**Update** to "top of its mkt segment"
By cjclemson

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update to the review that I posted back on 19Nov02. Five years and 76K miles later, the car drives just as well as when I bought it. With that being said, it has had its share of electrical problems (replaced front driver's window motor, front passenger's window motor, and both rear tailight assemblies because of a melted wiring harness). The total of those repairs was around $1,000. Not too bad for 5yrs, but still unacceptable for two window motors to go bad within 5yrs. Overall great car that I plan to keep for hopefully many trouble-free years to come.

Xenon lights, AWD great in snow/rain, natural brown leather, smooth inline six cylinder, timeless instrumentation/dash layout, rainsensing wipers.

Improve the life of the electrical components. $36K car should not have these types of problems within the first five years.

I wish my commute was longer!!
By DaveH

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

If you like a cushy, comfy ride to the grocery store or you want every wiz bang electronic gadget under sun, look to the Japanese automakers. If you want a driver's machine that'll demand you hit exit ramps at speeds other cars cruise at on the highway, this car is for you. The 330i is a driver's car. My wife says, "Why do you need to go that fast from stop light to stop light?" Jam the accelerator in 2nd at 3000 RPMs and you'll feel the answer. This car begs to be driven and it's way too tempting not to comply. Aside from flat out acceleration and gobs of torque, the 330i feels like it's on rails whilst careening around corners or exit ramps. Drive it and you'll see.

Plenty of acceleration. Gives you confidence in the corners. Utilitarian, only what you need. Seats hold you in during hard cornering. Huge aftermarket potential.

As an aftermarket mod, I added a Dinan Cold Air Intake and Stage 2 software which really woke this car up. I plan to underdrive the pulleys, install a short shifter and add a Remus exhaust. Also have the clutch delay valve removed and shifting will be less jerky.

Terrific car
By Jeff

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 21800 miles, 2 months later I have 27K on it. I love it. Minor issues (I bought it used some are expected), replaced 2 window regulators, and a turn signal and socket. This car is great fun to drive, and I'll definitely own another. Next car may be the new 1-series set to come out next year, or a 3-series lease. Decent power, great handling, great turning radius, and great fun to drive. I have the basic car, about as stripped as a BMW comes (my old Sonata had about the same equipment) but it is still quite nice.

Handling, smooth as glass engine (acceleration is a pleasure), good power (but could use a little more), sunroof, there is a lot to love about this car.

Why do you have to replace the sockets when you replace a light/turn signal? A tad more power would be nice (the 2007 325i has a lot more power). At this price point why have vinyl seats (make leather standard, or at least cloth), it gets hot in MD and with vinyl my back gets sweaty and sticky.