Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 311 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I'll never drive anything but a BMW!
By Mike

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July of 2007 and I have enjoyed this car more than any other car I have ever owned. It handles and holds the road beautifully. It feels like it has more power than it actually does and looks beautiful. For the mileage and how hard I drive this car it holds up extremely well. I have had a few minor issues with it but most of it has been covered under the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. I have only spent $202.00 out of pocket to fix the car. I bought it with 39,000 miles and it has 43,000 on it now. I recommend only buying a BMW from a BMW dealer because of the great warranty. Buy it from another dealer and spend more money! I will never own anything but a BMW!

Beautiful styling, sporty unshakable handling, rear wheel drive and great gas mileage!

Keep the window and door controls in the center and not on the doors! More power!

It just goes
By John Pelkey

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW new, no hassle, car and price matched internet specs exactly. 130,000 miles later and it is like the first day. It had an electrical problem and a headlight out that BMW fixed, and I've gone though two sets of tires. Oh, and two extra quarts of oil. That's it. Original brakes, original everything else. I get 30 MPG with the heater and AC off, and 28 with either of them on, those are combined miles.

Heated seats in winter. Defrost that takes 10-20 seconds to clear everything. AC that takes 10 seconds to feel the cold. AWD in rain or snow going up a hill. AWD the rest of the time, too. Great brakes.

Reverse is like starting out in second gear. Have to nurse it.

Debriefing
By Rob Miller

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my first BMW, a titanium 325i sedan with sport package, manual trans, leather, and xenon headlights, in spring 2003. During the years I had it, it was as close to perfect as a car can be. Nevertheless, a month ago, I traded it on a 2008 328i, with a sport package and manual transmission. The only reasons I traded were that the 2003 was getting old and soon wouldn't be worth much in a trade. While I had it, It was an extraordinarily good car: fun to drive, very reliable, practically trouble-free, and cheap to own because of the 48,000/5 year warranty. If the car hadn't been so good, I would have never bought another. So far, the 328i has been great--another winner!

I liked most everything about this car! First, it was great looking. Very quiet/serene, even at high speeds. Decent but not great power. Excellent handling, even at high speeds. Reliable and inexpensive to operate. Xenon lights were superior. Controls easy to use.

Premium gas suggestions is unnecessary. The front bucket seats were a bit small and uncomfortable. Basically, any criticisms would be nit-picking.

Fun while it lasts
By R. Parker

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was completely in love with this car when I bought it. Although I bought it used, it was my first BMW but most likely will now be my last. The problems I have had on this car are unbelievable. The warning light that the right tail light is out has been on and off since I bought it. I have had to replace window regulators, the sunroof, injectors, spark plugs, bushings and a host of other things. The straw that broke the camel's back came a few days ago - an engine/exhaust problem that's going to cost $3500 to fix. In the last year I've shelled out $9K on this vehicle. I loved driving this car it was so much fun. But now I am looking at something more reliable - like a Hyundai.

The gas mileage I got was awesome! 25 mpg city, 35 mpg hwy. This car has some great pick up with the 6 cylinder engine and zips through traffic like a dream.

Do the words "quality control" mean anything to anybody? Given the number of complaints I've read here and at other websites BMW needs to do something to make a better car. I wish I had had the experience of those who say they've never had problems. This car has been problematic from the start.

I know what they're missing!!!
By Iowa Architect

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used '91 318i in New Mexico and fell in love with it. The faster you went the more that car would hunker down and handle the road. However, that car had zero traction in the winter. I moved to Iowa and needed a better all weather car. In comes the 325xi. Great traction, great handling, great ride, great looks,etc. Sometimes I find myself smiling just because I am behind the wheel. No mechanical or engine issues,however, I did have to change the front tie rods. I found a very reliable certified BMW mechanic and now I feel I am not being fleeced everytime I have service. I do take warrantee work to the dealership. I don't think other car drivers have any idea of what they're missing!

Handling, seat comfort, ride feel, dash/instrumentation, orange dash lights, peppiness, the gas mileage 23/28 is acceptable. Did I mention looks?

The cup holder is awful. The little grippy things snap out and make too much noise. OK, I know real car driving enthusiasts don't need cupholders. Go back to the hood being hinged in the front - that is just the way a BMW should be.