Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 443 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

325xi
By 325xi

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is an absolute delight to drive. Mileage has been excellent with 20 mpg town and 32 highway. Long trips seem more tolerable due to comfortable, supportive seats. AWD does an exemplary job in snow and rain. We live in a rural area with very rough roads and the car is still reliable and tight at 108,000 miles. This is our second BMW.

All wheel drive (AWD), rain sensor windshield,self-leveling Xenon headlights. Routine maintenance items accessible from top making oil/filter changes a snap.

front of console seems somewhat wide in the knee area.

Transmission
By Original Owner

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new in November 2003. Sport and premium package with xenon lights. I took exceptionally good care of the car, always garaged and hardly ever drove it hard.Ignition coil needed replacement at around 10,000 miles and again within 50,000 miles. Front right xenon light went out within 50,000 miles and headlight assembly was replaced. Brakes and discs needed replacement every 25,000 miles. Control arm bushings needed replacement prior to 100,000 miles. Radio replaced at 100,000 miles. Radio dial broke off and radio not working again. Driver side window motor replaced. Now has 125,000 miles and Transmission has issues. Great was car great prior to 100,000 miles.

BMW first timer
By JB

2003 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2003 325CI coupe w/ 5-sp manual. Pure delight to drive. Manual shifter absolutely glides through each gear, never resisting, never sloppy, just smooth as silk. Power is best termed as graceful. Around town, passing, or normal acceleration just FEELS authoritative, confident and agile quick. Interstate driving is where you especially feel like you own the road. Passing cars and filling holes in traffic so effortlessly. When I test drove this car, I had to run the car out through the gears to get an idea of it's power. Quite frankly, my first impression wasn't that high due to it's lack of high-rev power. The 2.5 is never going to be a screamer. But who actually drives a car full-out anyway?

Graceful, confident power and handling. Makes you want to go anywhere just for the pleasure of driving. One of the all-time great looking models - a classic. Love the rear windows power pop-out design. 5-sp manual smoothness. Beautiful paint finish. 25 MPG around town, really, I was shocked!

Everyone's already suggested changing the armrest/console/cup holder design. HK audio system might be ok for those who aren't familiar with excellence in car audio, but nothing special to me. Check out BSW audio on-line for a big improvement w/o big cash outlay.

Worst car I have ever owned!
By Maxtar

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It all began in 2003 where we got are BMW we wanted it for a very cheap price because we already bought a 45,000 dollar Volvo XC90 we got manual standard package non leather BMW. In fall 2009 the brakes squeaked and we brought It to a dealer that works on BMW's we had to go to 3 of them and finally they worked . We are very mad at it and we hope to sell it in Aug 2010.

Will never have anything but a BMW!
By Nathan

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What more can I say about this fantastic car than it REALLY is the "Ultimate Driving Machine!" Everyone raves about how great the driving experience is, and until you've piloted one, you cannot possibly understand. There is no car for the money that does a better job totally immersing the driver into the drive. The car communicates everything to you through the controls and it constantly amazes me when I point it in a direction and it just goes there without complaining. Sure there are little hiccups here and there. Things are bound to break on a car that's been driven 137,000 miles in just over 7 years. I have never been stranded by my baby. And I always enjoy taking her out for a drive. A++

Smooth inline-6 (best in the business), Rain-sensing wipers, Sport seats (would be FANTASTIC with the lumbar option), Great looks inside and out (two tone brown leather with black), Powerful brakes (even though they're the weakest that BMW offers), Handling (Sublime)

Fuel economy in town could be better (hard to keep your foot out of it), STD XENONS (should be std on ANY Lux Car), New interior plastic finish (it gets scratched off and looks awful), Better automatic (been addressed in newer models. Shifts too smooth for my taste.)