Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 311 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Will not own another BMW
By outdoorzdude

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Never own a BMW out of warranty.
I sold my 2003 325i I purchased brand new and maintain impeccably for 150,000 highway miles, kept it 100k miles too long.
It’s like they used to say about boats, “the happiest day, is the day you bought it and the day you sell it.”
Though that is unfair to boats, as I have a 20 year old boat with a two-stoke Yamaha that has not given me one-tenth the problems this car has and judging from the online forums, I am not alone.
Alternators, radiators, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, fuel pumps, window regulators, final stage resistors, seatbelt tensioners, the list goes on and on.
Avoid these cars unless you like to work on high tech autos for fun.

Fuel Efficiency, Sporty driveability.

Stop using cheap materials that will knowingly wear out in order to increase dealer service profits. Used better engineered materials/parts to imporve reliability.

Fun to Drive, Not Fun to Fix
By afski786

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in March 2011 with 107,000 miles at the time. It's a great car to drive, and looks awesome. However, there have been several maintenance problems. First, when I bought it, it was missing the rain gutter on both sides. Getting those fixed was around $300. After a few months and 3000 miles, the starter went out and they also found the water pump needed replacing, both around $1,100. Then a few months later the thermostat, drive belts, CV Boots, and lower control arm busings needed to be fixed, $2400. Then the rain gutter clip broke, and finally the coolant tank, another $350. I wouldn't buy a BMW out of warranty; I thought they would be better mechanically but I was wrong

I really loved this car
By gabriel2011

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I must say, this car was a complete joy to own and drive. This car is a great starter car but the repairs and maintenance can be a bit costly but overall it's a great car and very safe when it comes to accidents (trust me on that one).

Well served. Best car ever
By parico

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 325i manual brand new and I put 150K since then. I have never had any major problem in the past 8 years except regular maintenance cost witch sometimes gets costly. for the first 4 years I didn't pay a penny because it was covered under BMW maintenance package and after that I only did the oil change and scheduled maintenance.
The trick is not to miss a service due date!!
I love it and I'm not gonna replace it with anything else until it dies.

Prepare to Spend
By subroo13

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my Honda Accord for a BMW 325i.
As long as the car was under warranty, everything - including a car wash was covered.
But as soon as the warranty period expired, here are some of the problems that surfaced:
1. AC stopped working - $800
2. Seatbelt Sensor error - $300
3. Ignition Key stopped working - $800

Secondly, there is hardly any storage in the car.
The only storage is the trunk.
So if you are trading in your Japanese car, set your expectation right - be prepared to compromise on the space, and the overall reliability.

German engineering is eloquent as far as the detail on aesthetics of the car.
For a car with low maintenance and function, its always a Honda or a Toyota!

Handling, feel, drive satisfaction, maintenance plan.

Reliability, please pay attention to the overall functionality of the car and not just the looks, sounds and the feel. Lexus is way better - please rethink your emphasis on the feel and focus on long term quality.