Used 2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

325xi
By 325xi

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is an absolute delight to drive. Mileage has been excellent with 20 mpg town and 32 highway. Long trips seem more tolerable due to comfortable, supportive seats. AWD does an exemplary job in snow and rain. We live in a rural area with very rough roads and the car is still reliable and tight at 108,000 miles. This is our second BMW.

All wheel drive (AWD), rain sensor windshield,self-leveling Xenon headlights. Routine maintenance items accessible from top making oil/filter changes a snap.

front of console seems somewhat wide in the knee area.

I still know what their missing!!!
By Iowa Architect

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Follow up to a 2008 review. I still like driving this car and the looks are great. However, I am starting to have to put $$$ into this car for repairs. BMW ripped me off by denying to pay for a broken sunroof diagnosed at the dealership 2 days before the warranty ran out. It'll take!!$1800!! to repair it. The front end suspension has cost me $700 in the last 6 months and I need to put another $750 into a new driver side ball joint and related parts. Best advice for this car is to buy an extended warranty to at least 100,000 miles. Still love to drive it. Ran at 110+ mph in Wyoming this summer for over 25 miles. WOW!! What their missing is expensive repair bills, but it is still a fun ride!!

Handling, ride, dashboard layout and orange lights. Did I mention the looks?

Your recalls should cover the sunroof because the mechanism is cheap and I know of a fair number of other similar/'nearby' year owners who have had to repair the sunroof!

It just goes
By John Pelkey

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW new, no hassle, car and price matched internet specs exactly. 130,000 miles later and it is like the first day. It had an electrical problem and a headlight out that BMW fixed, and I've gone though two sets of tires. Oh, and two extra quarts of oil. That's it. Original brakes, original everything else. I get 30 MPG with the heater and AC off, and 28 with either of them on, those are combined miles.

Heated seats in winter. Defrost that takes 10-20 seconds to clear everything. AC that takes 10 seconds to feel the cold. AWD in rain or snow going up a hill. AWD the rest of the time, too. Great brakes.

Reverse is like starting out in second gear. Have to nurse it.

I know what they're missing!!!
By Iowa Architect

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a used '91 318i in New Mexico and fell in love with it. The faster you went the more that car would hunker down and handle the road. However, that car had zero traction in the winter. I moved to Iowa and needed a better all weather car. In comes the 325xi. Great traction, great handling, great ride, great looks,etc. Sometimes I find myself smiling just because I am behind the wheel. No mechanical or engine issues,however, I did have to change the front tie rods. I found a very reliable certified BMW mechanic and now I feel I am not being fleeced everytime I have service. I do take warrantee work to the dealership. I don't think other car drivers have any idea of what they're missing!

Handling, seat comfort, ride feel, dash/instrumentation, orange dash lights, peppiness, the gas mileage 23/28 is acceptable. Did I mention looks?

The cup holder is awful. The little grippy things snap out and make too much noise. OK, I know real car driving enthusiasts don't need cupholders. Go back to the hood being hinged in the front - that is just the way a BMW should be.

**Update** to "top of its mkt segment"
By cjclemson

2003 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is an update to the review that I posted back on 19Nov02. Five years and 76K miles later, the car drives just as well as when I bought it. With that being said, it has had its share of electrical problems (replaced front driver's window motor, front passenger's window motor, and both rear tailight assemblies because of a melted wiring harness). The total of those repairs was around $1,000. Not too bad for 5yrs, but still unacceptable for two window motors to go bad within 5yrs. Overall great car that I plan to keep for hopefully many trouble-free years to come.

Xenon lights, AWD great in snow/rain, natural brown leather, smooth inline six cylinder, timeless instrumentation/dash layout, rainsensing wipers.

Improve the life of the electrical components. $36K car should not have these types of problems within the first five years.