Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 333 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

First 8 months
By Aaron

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove a '99 Ford Contour SVT before the 325i, and I am so satisfied that I bought a rear-wheel drive car. I've had two problems when I first bought it. The alternator and reverse-activated rear-view mirror were replaced free of charge, but considering that my last car was about to die on me, they were minor inconveniences. The 190 or so hp (BMW says 184, I don't think so) is used to its fullest extent and doesn't struggle, but if you can afford the near 4-5 grand premium over the 325i for the 330i, get the 330i. The tires are wearing even and the steering, is, I'm lost for words. It's awesome. I will have an update around the 14-16 month period.

Classic styling. Better looking than the newer 5 and 7 Series. Drives like a small sedan should, but has enough room for bigger guys (6' to 6'2'') even in the back.

No improvements.

German engineering??
By altura

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new, excellent handling and acceleration. As of 07/2007, 60k miles and exterior (metallic blue) looks like new. Interior wood trim and leather trim has held up, although some minor fading/peeling on plastic accents. Had to replace all 4 window rotors within first year and repaired sunroof twice. Brake dust shows daily. Nightmare problems starting at 55k miles, had to replace serpentine belt, battery, throttle, DSC control unit (2k out of pocket, warranty expired). Will not purchase another BMW, although performance is superb, reliability and quality is not favorable. Servicing and repair expenses too high.

Handling, acceleration, steptronic, interior look, exterior design is timeless.

Quality, reliability, more interior room, better MPG.

Not So Reliable, Not so Swift
By HSD

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm often amazed at how so many reviewers who have only test driven the BMW so readily heap its praise. I've owned a 330Ci Convertible now through 60,000 miles. In the last two years alone it has been in the shop for major repairs nine times. Count: new transmission, new alternator, battery, and ECU, new radiator, water pump, and impeller, new radio, new seat cover. Most recently it requires a new brake caliper, rotor and pads. I've come to understand that BMW really means, "Breaking Motor Woerken." There is a reason BMW offers such attractive leases on their cars: The only way worth driving one is as a rental.

Looks impressive. Drop top can't be beat. Doors lock automatically.

Reliability. Reliability, Reliability. Shave off the FAT - my 1995 Ford Probe GT can outrun this. Transmission tunnel intrusion into driver space - I'm ready for a hip graft. Forget the automatic. Think twice about sport wheels if you live in an urban area (or keep a slush fund for replacements).

BMW Forever
By Luis L

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in May 2005 with 20,000 miles on it. After reconditioning (replaced AC compressor, fuel level gauge in tank and suspension bushings), it has given no problems. Only needed scheduled service. Fun to drive! Nice acceleration and road handling. Full leather trim is easy to keep clean. 17" wheels and M3 type trunk spoiler give it a sporty look. I am adding angel eyes projector headlights to make it look even better. I will definitely buy another BMW when I trade this one in!

Engine growl when accelerating, smooth transmission, body styling, suspension.

Cupholders! Also, improve the overall AC system.

I'm Hooked
By Dave

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my perfectly fine 2006 Honda Civic EX coupe for this car, and I absolutely love it. I was looking for a little more fun than the Honda provided, and also something the family would enjoy. This car is all that you read about and more. It offers the perfect blend of fun, performance, and practicality. This is my first venture into BMW-land, and I'm hooked so far. I was looking for a used model with low miles, and I came across my 2002 330 CiC with just 38,400 miles and a clean Carfax. The beauty of BMWs is that they often look much younger than they actually are. I walked away with my "almost new" car for just $25k, down from $46k new. Very happy so far.

I love the aggressive, refined stance of this car. Sports and premium packages are a must. I look for reasons to wash this car. I also love my color combo (jet black, sand interior, black top). I honestly can't decide if it looks better with the top up or down. The drive is unreal, very tight.

OK, yeah, the back seat is small, but I understand the trade-off. I also have some minor electrical concerns: cruise control won't turn on anymore, and the driver's side power seat motor is intermittent at times... little things I'll fix before the extended warranty runs out next year.