Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good car but too many repairs
By slick

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car in April and I love the way it drives, for a 2.5 it's peppy. I had to replace ball joints and bushings $800. Also had a failed right front suspension spring. $200 fix. The car runs smooth but too many little repairs. Very fun to drive and will recommend purchase with warranty.

Steptronic transmission. Traction control and stability. Xenon head lights, feature where you can't roll backwards on a hill.

Front end suspension. More HP. Better engineering and a longer warranty.

First 8 months
By Aaron

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove a '99 Ford Contour SVT before the 325i, and I am so satisfied that I bought a rear-wheel drive car. I've had two problems when I first bought it. The alternator and reverse-activated rear-view mirror were replaced free of charge, but considering that my last car was about to die on me, they were minor inconveniences. The 190 or so hp (BMW says 184, I don't think so) is used to its fullest extent and doesn't struggle, but if you can afford the near 4-5 grand premium over the 325i for the 330i, get the 330i. The tires are wearing even and the steering, is, I'm lost for words. It's awesome. I will have an update around the 14-16 month period.

Classic styling. Better looking than the newer 5 and 7 Series. Drives like a small sedan should, but has enough room for bigger guys (6' to 6'2'') even in the back.

No improvements.

German engineering??
By altura

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new, excellent handling and acceleration. As of 07/2007, 60k miles and exterior (metallic blue) looks like new. Interior wood trim and leather trim has held up, although some minor fading/peeling on plastic accents. Had to replace all 4 window rotors within first year and repaired sunroof twice. Brake dust shows daily. Nightmare problems starting at 55k miles, had to replace serpentine belt, battery, throttle, DSC control unit (2k out of pocket, warranty expired). Will not purchase another BMW, although performance is superb, reliability and quality is not favorable. Servicing and repair expenses too high.

Handling, acceleration, steptronic, interior look, exterior design is timeless.

Quality, reliability, more interior room, better MPG.

BMW Forever
By Luis L

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in May 2005 with 20,000 miles on it. After reconditioning (replaced AC compressor, fuel level gauge in tank and suspension bushings), it has given no problems. Only needed scheduled service. Fun to drive! Nice acceleration and road handling. Full leather trim is easy to keep clean. 17" wheels and M3 type trunk spoiler give it a sporty look. I am adding angel eyes projector headlights to make it look even better. I will definitely buy another BMW when I trade this one in!

Engine growl when accelerating, smooth transmission, body styling, suspension.

Cupholders! Also, improve the overall AC system.

There's NONE better! :)
By Bimmer4Life

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love, love, love this car! I have the 330i with the high performance package. I have M3 18 inch staggered wheels, M3 steering wheel, navigation system, bi-xenon-auto leveling headlights, rain sensing wipers... the list goes on. I was hesitant to buy this car 2 years ago with 64k on it, but with all of the service records available, I took the risk. I now have 101K on the odometer and it's still purring (or growling with the dual chrome exhaust!) right along! I also have the Harmon Kardon sound system which is awesome. I owned a '98 328i previous to this car and I can't see EVER owning anything but a Bimmer!!

Quick/responsive engine, tight steering,"'muscle" look and larger tires, front end and the NAVIGATION! I will never own another car without it!

Cup holder/console combo is a bit awkward at times. Coloring is fading off of steering wheel and the color is rubbing off of plastic pieces around cup holders. Nothing major!