Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, loving BMW
By bmwphile

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I used to own a Mustang GT before my Bimmer. After test driving the BMW I realized what a piece of junk I had been driving. The BMW has been a joy to own with hardly any problems. The steering, handling, and power is ridiculous.

The handling is great. The BMW always makes you feel like a king of the road.

None whatsoever. I think this model year was the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye (both inside and outside.)

Awesome car
By KSL

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Certified Pre-Owned car with 11,000 miles. There were several things that needed replacing that was thankfully covered by warranty. I've had no other problems since the warranty expired a year ago. It's such a fun car to drive and a real head-turner.

The acceleration, the stability control and the Harmon Kardon stereo.

The sunroof tilt opened more.

Going for 300K
By B

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We (wife and I) bought this with 14K on odo. It looked and felt like new even though I was hesitant about the price. It is now 173K still feels like new and looks... well not new but good. These days you need a car to outlast the payments. I plan to go for 300K on this. This is the first car I feel comfortable making that attempt. It has had a few things fail. These were the window regulators (all 4) and a piece of trim. The 3 is a tough little car. Looking to get 2nd one.

17 inch wheels. Not knocking the 16s but the low profile tires on 17s give it a more aggressive stance.

Comfort would have scored higher if I didn't have the sport seats. The pan is a bit narrow for me. Tire width. The 225s it came with do not provide the rims any protection against a curb rub. I put 245s on and not a problem since.

2002 330i Sedan
By pimpjuice

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and had it ever since. Never seen a mechanic since purchase. I put a custom bodykit, 20 inch rims. cold air intake. Car is awesome and still drives like new. Wished i had got the stick instead. Gas average 27 (city/hwy). that is very good. Good power. I don't know about those who had bad mechanical experience with bmw, But I would love to get another i35, 335 or m3 someday.

Sexy looks, power, handling, my 20" rims on it with new bodykit. It's a total new look. This car looks great on bodykit.

More HP, cup holder location, alarm

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Drove beautifully (when it wasn't in the shop), classic styling, peppy (both before and after post-warranty transmission replacement of $4500), festive collection of "repair needed" lights in the instrument cluster to mentally prepare you for the cost of your next post-warranty repair.

Reliability and durability receive an F. No car should incur $10,000 in post-warranty repair costs despite religious performance of all scheduled maintenance. Despite how much fun this car was to drive, I cannot recommend BMW to anyone after my horrid experience.