Used 2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Get ready for hefty repair bills
By Swooze

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle as a Certified Pre-Owned. Under warranty I had a broken brake caliper and right front window motor replaced. Largest out of pocket expenses are the brake jobs costing $450 or more for either front or rear. Now I'm having a problem with the interior fan blower motor so back to the dealer before my extended warranty runs out in July. The car has truly spectacular handling, but the repair and maintenance costs are the highest of any vehicle I've owned. I will think twice before buying another BMW.

Handling and corning ability, interior trim, exterior and interior styling.

BMW says they test their vehicles in extreme environments, but after reading about all the complaints and experiencing first hand the problems, I have to wonder where all that money goes.

A Dream Car... But Not Very Practical
By Emiroo

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I love the way this car looks and performs so much that we overlook several complaints we have. It's beautiful and handles like a racecar! That being said, the upkeep on a BMW can be crippling. Whatever a part costs for a regular car, double (if not triple) that on a BMW. The trunk & backseat are smaller and not very helpful when we take our 2 children places in it. The stereo is incredibly weak and muddled for a car of this caliber. The door unlock button is right by the poorly placed cupholder making it likey to be the victim of a short after a spill (ours did). Still, the car is a blast to drive and turns heads! Not great for families, but still too much fun to get rid of.

Visual appeal, power, smooth ride, quiet ride, amenities.

Desperate for a better sound system, redesign/relocate cupholder setup, needs larger trunk, improve (i.e. lower) maintenance costs.

One of the best cars in the market!
By Moawieh Abuhatoum

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car drives just fine, very quiet and fun to drive, very good gas mileage, corners very well, excellent acceleration, very well designed in and out!! Maintaning the car is an issue with the unlogical prices and labor charges dealer will charge just because it is BMW! You really pay for the name and not the part/labor! Very frustrating.

Engine! Handling.

More horse power and torque!!!

Good car but too many repairs
By slick

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car in April and I love the way it drives, for a 2.5 it's peppy. I had to replace ball joints and bushings $800. Also had a failed right front suspension spring. $200 fix. The car runs smooth but too many little repairs. Very fun to drive and will recommend purchase with warranty.

Steptronic transmission. Traction control and stability. Xenon head lights, feature where you can't roll backwards on a hill.

Front end suspension. More HP. Better engineering and a longer warranty.

First 8 months
By Aaron

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove a '99 Ford Contour SVT before the 325i, and I am so satisfied that I bought a rear-wheel drive car. I've had two problems when I first bought it. The alternator and reverse-activated rear-view mirror were replaced free of charge, but considering that my last car was about to die on me, they were minor inconveniences. The 190 or so hp (BMW says 184, I don't think so) is used to its fullest extent and doesn't struggle, but if you can afford the near 4-5 grand premium over the 325i for the 330i, get the 330i. The tires are wearing even and the steering, is, I'm lost for words. It's awesome. I will have an update around the 14-16 month period.

Classic styling. Better looking than the newer 5 and 7 Series. Drives like a small sedan should, but has enough room for bigger guys (6' to 6'2'') even in the back.

No improvements.