Used 2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Mixed feelings
By Wheels

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought mine used a year ago with about 65K miles. Never owned a more solid car, nothing even close. Makes my in-laws' 2007 Accord feel cheap and gutless. Great ride and handling, good power, 29 mpg, very comfortable (6'2", 225 lbs). But the repairs have me frustrated. Belt idler pulley bearings shot at about 70K miles. AC/Heater blower motor regulator needs replaced (at 86K miles). Trans is making odd noises. Driver's window motor is almost shot. Taillight ground problem. Bad battery. Window trim fell off. None of these are catastrophic, but I've driven many other cars for many more miles before these types of problems arose. I won't buy another one, though the positives make it tempting.

Handling, comfort, solid feel.

Better quality control and reliability in areas where parts should last much longer (and do in other cars), e.g., belt pulleys, window motors, blower regulators.

Fantastic Ride!
By Minnie Gupta

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 325i last August with 151,000 miles on it, no less! It's rwd, and we were told by the dealer to drive carefully on the snow. I have been riding this car everyday to work and all other places for the past 10 months and love it, even on the snow. For a car which has covered such mind boggling miles, this car rides like a dream. We probably will have to fix the suspension in a couple of months or so, but other than that, this car rides like the powerhouse packet that it is. If you didn't look at the odometer, you could not tell it from it's newer models, the ride is still so tight. It's service history is clean, no rattlings and the gas mileage is great. Love it!

Great ride, reliability, exterior, interior, style.

Nothing that the newest versions have not covered.

Don't buy it!
By ChristyGonz

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

When gas prices started to rise a few years ago I got out of my yukon denali and bought this BMW. It has had 2 window regulators $350.00, 1 new battery $100, a new alternator $400.00 and now the transmission is shot $5300.00. Not to mention a few months ago the car started sparking around the battery which sits in the trunk and cost $9,000 worth of fire damage. This is the WORSE car I have ever owned not to mention the bills to fix these problems. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Sunroof and that's about it.

Transmission, regulator, battery, and the car is not very comfortable.

Not reliable
By BM

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 because I test drove a friend's car and I loved it. It's a true sport sedan, got enough power, it looks really cool and fun to drive. But the car is not reliable. I have put only 47k miles on it and many things broke down I have to replaced alternator, air blower, power window motor, battery twice, front and rear brake twice and expecting another power window motor. I will not buy a BMW any more.

External, internal layout.

Need more cup holders, head light relay, improve build quality and reliability.

Get ready for hefty repair bills
By Swooze

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle as a Certified Pre-Owned. Under warranty I had a broken brake caliper and right front window motor replaced. Largest out of pocket expenses are the brake jobs costing $450 or more for either front or rear. Now I'm having a problem with the interior fan blower motor so back to the dealer before my extended warranty runs out in July. The car has truly spectacular handling, but the repair and maintenance costs are the highest of any vehicle I've owned. I will think twice before buying another BMW.

Handling and corning ability, interior trim, exterior and interior styling.

BMW says they test their vehicles in extreme environments, but after reading about all the complaints and experiencing first hand the problems, I have to wonder where all that money goes.